Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P790 or Mp MMC

Q-School Graduate

P790 or Mp MMC

Looking at upgrading my irons and these two are the faves.
    I have got a fitting booked in but interested to hear peoples opinions who maybe own them or have tried them?
    Heard great things about the p790 but some say they are hard to stop on greens where as some people say the MMC are a bit weak in today’s market.

Any input welcome

Cheers

Head Pro

Re: P790 or Mp MMC

mizuno mp18 are quite popular just now and the taylormades have left some a little disappointed the proof will be in what works for you, have a try of the ap3s if you can they might sway you from the tm and mmc
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7

I hit the MMC's yesterday, with the KBS C Taper lite shaft in stiff, the ball speed, carry distance etc went up along way from my AP2 (716) 6 iron.
    Spin & Launch angle were both similar (but pretty low 14.7* & 4,282 rpm on the MMC, 14.4* & 4,304 rpm on the AP2)

Ball speed went up from 123 to 130 mph, and club speed from 89 to 91.

Q-School Graduate

So do You think you’ll change mate?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    Looking at upgrading my irons and these two are the faves.
    I have got a fitting booked in but interested to hear peoples opinions who maybe own them or have tried them?
    Heard great things about the p790 but some say they are hard to stop on greens where as some people say the MMC are a bit weak in today’s market.

Any input welcome

Cheers
    not sure what you mean by weak but if you mean lofts, then yes i'd assume TM irons are jacked as per usual.

I've got the MMC 2iron, and its an absolute rocket
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

Q-School Graduate

Sorry mate meant weak in relation to other clubs in the market maybe I’m going of marketing etc but they just don’t seem to be being gamed by many handicap golfers

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

When I was looking to upgrade my irons I was looking initially at the P790 or the AP2

I tried loads of others including the CB forged and the pings ( shudder )

I found the P790 jist ballooned of the face and a felt not great

Ended up going with a MP18 4-5 in the MMC and 6-PW in the SC - the numbers were good and they feel so nice

I reckon you will find a lot more people will play with Mizuno than you think

Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    So do You think you’ll change mate?
    I intend changing in the Autumn. I'm going to all the fittings that our club are putting on and am going to compare and contrast the different brands. I'm basically looking at equivalents to the AP2's in each brand.
    I tried the new AP2s a couple of months ago, the Mizzys yesterday, Taylormade this afternoon and Callaway on the 24th.

After those I will look at the numbers, and take a few demo clubs out on the course to see how they perform on actual shots rather than launch monitors (which I never fully trust - can they be fiddled with to make your club look worse than those on trial?), and go from there.

Fair to say though that the Mizzy that he fit for me yesterday flew a mile and was consistent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    I reckon you will find a lot more people will play with Mizuno than you think
    I get the impression that alot of former Nike players have gone to Mizzy now they aren't tied to any one club brand (Koepka & Casey certainly have)

Tour Winner

or you could wait another week and try these
    Attached Images Attached Images