Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Question Initial Handicap help - Women

Hi here,

Is anyone able to help me with something which is causing a bit of a headache..?

When someone is going for an initial handicap, do they HAVE to play from the reds? And if so why? Surely if they play from a measured course they can get an initial handicap cant they?

I ask because one of our new members played off the white tees and shot 4 over (3 under for the back 9) but it looks like she will be refused a handicap as she didn't play from the red tees.

I find this staggering, especially in this day an age. Surely this cant be accurate can it?

If any handicap secretary out there can help me I would be very grateful.

Please and thank you
    Callaway RAZR Black Driver & 4 Wood
    3Hybrid Callaway RAZR
    Soon to be the new Cleveland 588 irons courtesy of GM Magazine :-) thanks guys!
    Odyssey 2 Ball F7 Putter (the bees knees) ;-)

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Re: Initial Handicap help - Women

It depends on if the tee has been rated for both Male and female

The player can use any measured tee that has been rated for that relevant sex

So if there is only a rating for the ladies of the reds she must use that when gaining an initial HC

Is she returning to golf ? An ex pro ?

Tour Rookie

Shes American, first time HD over here.

Her golf over the last year or so has been nomadic.

I think she should be around 3 or 4, although shes easily capable of lower and will come down I would think
    3Hybrid Callaway RAZR

Tour Winner

As said above, she must play from tees rated for women. It may well be that your club has had the yellow tees rated for women.
    I must admit I don't know of any clubs that have had longer tees rated for women unless they have hosted a big national event when the tees to be used are often a mixture of the men's tees.

Further, as it seems that she will end up as a Category 1 player, her initial handicap allocation will have to be confirmed by the County Association.

Tour Rookie

Thanks rulefan,

Is that a complicated process? So If I go out with her and mark 2 new cards off the reds how quickly will she get a handicap?

What is it they check etc?

Thanks in advance
    3Hybrid Callaway RAZR

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheJezster View Post
    Thanks rulefan,

Is that a complicated process? So If I go out with her and mark 2 new cards off the reds how quickly will she get a handicap?

What is it they check etc?

Thanks in advance
    She should also mention to the HC committee what her previous HC was when she was in the US

And it will take as long as the HC committee take to sort it out - if someone wants it sorted soon I normally ensured i picked the cards up - put them into the system straight away and if I needed county authority for Cat 1 it normally took at least a day

For a normal HC allocation it takes 5 mins to put the cards in and then the system to do the calculations- in your case it will need that extra County Aithority

I think your best bet would be to go and speak to someone from the HC committee or the main person who sorts the HC outs

Money List Winner

She will need 54 holes for an initial handicap, you should see if there is a separate ladies handicap secretary and speak to her.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

2018 <11.6>11.0

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by TheJezster View Post
    Is that a complicated process?
    So If I go out with her and mark 2 new cards off the reds how quickly will she get a handicap?
    No. She will need to put in scores for at least 54 holes. The club may have a requirement for more. These may be played over a combination of 9 hole and/or 18 hole rated tees. The player must be accompanied by a player acceptable to the committee. Usually a Member with a handicap.
    The system will calculate the initial handicap but any hole scored as over double bogey will be automatically recorded as double bogey.
    The manual says "The Handicap Committee must consider all the information available to it in relation to the player’s ability and any previously held handicap before allotment of a handicap. After due consideration, the Handicap Committee may allot a player an initial whole number Exact Handicap less than that calculated if it has reason to consider that a lower handicap is more appropriate to the player’s ability. In exceptional circumstances a higher handicap may be allotted than that indicated above."

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    No. She will need to put in scores for at least 54 holes. The club may have a requirement for more. These may be played over a combination of 9 hole and/or 18 hole rated tees. The player must be accompanied by a player acceptable to the committee. Usually a Member with a handicap.
    The system will calculate the initial handicap but any hole scored as over double bogey will be automatically recorded as double bogey.
    The manual says "The Handicap Committee must consider all the information available to it in relation to the player’s ability and any previously held handicap before allotment of a handicap. After due consideration, the Handicap Committee may allot a player an initial whole number Exact Handicap less than that calculated if it has reason to consider that a lower handicap is more appropriate to the player’s ability. In exceptional circumstances a higher handicap may be allotted than that indicated above."
    Surely the adjustment is now down to double par.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    Surely the adjustment is now down to double par.
    Of course. Since the process is now handled by the software I had forgotten about the change. I should have quoted that bit also

"Adjust any score of more than double par at any hole to a score of double par (i.e. 6 on a Par 3, 8 on a Par 4 and 10 on a Par 5)."
    Last edited by rulefan; 03-Jul-2018 at 20:40.