Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BBQ. Advice

Re: BBQ. Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    You poms play at this sort of thing every couple of years when the weather is nice. Braaivleis is a way of life for us South Africans.
    Itís supposed to take 3 hours and you use wood!

Rank amateurs and your gas ! Pffft
    Don't you like the taste of butane?

Bloody foreigner

Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

If you have the chance to use hard wood for your coals then do so as it will just taste better.
    Thought you were meant to cook with it, not eat it!

Seriously though, we used to go sea fishing every weekend and the braai the catch on return when we lived in PE, and yes, when using hardwood, the cooked food had a better flavour than charcoal.

You poms play at this sort of thing every couple of years when the weather is nice.
    Rubbish. I can regularly be found barbecuing under an umbrella in the summer months!

Some advice for putting the grill on.

Buy the best burgers you can afford, basically get steak burgers not the cheap nasty ones.

Chicken thighs and drumsticks cook really well. Get the grill to 200*f cook for 15 mins one side then turn over for 15 mins. When ready to turn over again cover with BBQ sauce, flip them for 10 mins then cover the other side and flip for another 10 mins. Perfect sticky BBQ chicken every time that isn't over cooked and is nice and juicy. Also before cooking use a good dry rub on them.

Ryder Cup Winner

No point in being all macho using charcoal or wood. Get gas and cook to your heart's content. I do pretty much everything on the BBQ all year long

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    No point in being all macho using charcoal or wood. Get gas and cook to your heart's content. I do pretty much everything on the BBQ all year long
    smokin.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5 oooops 17.1, 15.9. 16.5 sad.

Medal Winner

If it's gas it's not a BBQ

Don't use instant lighting bags, the fuel it charcoal is soaked in will flavour your meat, get a chimney starter.

Buy a meat thermometer. they can be had very cheap from Amazon.

only have charcoal on one side of the BBQ so you can cook directly and indirectly.

If you want to make something that is relatively simple, but looks and tastes amazing you won't go far wrong with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvoeqVyu_4

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    If it's gas it's not a BBQ
    Rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Agreed. I have a theory that less than 5% of people who claim they can tell the difference in taste between meat cooked on charcoal and meat cooked on gas could actually do so successfully in a blind test!

I don't deny that it's pretty cool to light a real BBQ and cook your food on coal. But most of the time it's a pain in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    Rubbish!

Agreed. I have a theory that less than 5% of people who claim they can tell the difference in taste between meat cooked on charcoal and meat cooked on gas could actually do so successfully in a blind test!

I don't deny that it's pretty cool to light a real BBQ and cook your food on coal. But most of the time it's a pain in the arse!
    You need to get over to South Africa or Argentina mate. Itís different gravy to what folk here think a BBQ is. Outdoor cultures though so slightly different.

I will still braai in winter here. Weather isnít a factor. I even did the Christmas beef joint on the braai
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Head Pro

Unbelievable Jeff!!

29 posts and not a single mention for corn on the cob!
    Stick it on, turn regularly then smear on butter and cover with black pepper.