Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 81
  1. #41
    Money List Winner Pin-seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,631

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dasit View Post
    What is with the Rory obsession on here

    Rahm, Garcia, Spieth, Day, Bubba all missed the cut...maybe we need a thread on each, ask what is going on, is it mental, is it x part of their game
    If you want to start a thread on the players you mention,crack on.

    If you donít want to discuss Rory then donít 👍🏻

  2. #42
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    22

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dasit View Post
    What is with the Rory obsession on here

    Rahm, Garcia, Spieth, Day, Bubba all missed the cut...maybe we need a thread on each, ask what is going on, is it mental, is it x part of their game
    Rahm to much of a hot head to win a US open at this point in his career.
    Garcia blows hot and cold since his masters win.
    Spieth canít put anymore.
    Day is a bit streaky at the minute.
    Bubba is mental.
    Their you go sorted 👍👍

  3. #43
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapdraw View Post
    Rahm to much of a hot head to win a US open at this point in his career.
    Garcia blows hot and cold since his masters win.
    Spieth canít put anymore.
    Day is a bit streaky at the minute.
    Bubba is mental.
    Their you go sorted 
    Cheers!

  4. #44
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    533

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trapdraw View Post
    Heís fast becoming one dimensional, anything other than long, soft and no wind he seems to struggle. His putting is poor and he has a heart the size of a pea.
    Exactly this. He is mentally weak and performs when there is no pressure. Until he's honest with himself and his game he will remain an almost great

  5. #45
    Assistant Pro mteam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    166

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    I wouldnt say he was mentally weaker than any of the other top 10 current players they all seem to be fantastic one week not great the next . I just think the expectations of him were too high! The next Tiger or Jack

  6. #46
    Money List Winner MadAdey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina.
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Rory looks like he hasn't matured IMO. You look at DJ and all they talk about on US TV is how he has matured as a golfer and has realized that blasting the ball 350 yards off the tee isn't going to win big tournaments. He has learned how to make a score, he has proven that so far in the US Open.

    Rory is a great golfer, but when you look at it if you had to bet your house on someone to win a major would it be on Rory. Compare his last 10 tournaments to DJ. 1 win, 2 top 10s and 3 missed cuts compared to 2 wins, a 2nd, 2 further top 10s and no missed cuts.

    Come on Phil your a fellow Liverpool fan, Rory makes me think of Collymore. All the ability and on his day can be unstoppable, problem is you don't know which is turning up. To me that is the difference between the very best and the rest.

    I know I've compared him to DJ, but hey he is the best in the world at the minute, but then again he made a mess of his 3rd round. So lets see if DJ really is as good as people think, Tiger in his prime could go out after today and come back with a low score, can DJ?
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

  7. #47
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    IMO since he left his original management crew the Rory team have become isolationists with their style of 'family' run operations.

    Rory need someone firm like Butch Harmon to coach his course management and the short game especially. His attitude quickly changes after a bad break - the shoulder slump and he appears to go into a sulk like a petulant kid. Perhaps his considerable his wealth has deflated his determination or his ability to listen to criticism I'm not sure but he is disappointing to watch.

    I agree with the DJ comparison, there's a guy who can hit a mile but he has worked hard accuracy and on the rest of his game. Rory hasn't tried (IMO) to develop his mind and manage his obvious talent.

  8. #48
    Tour Rookie drewster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lincolnshire Wolds
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    He's playing again this week but i'll not be putting any money on him . FWIW, I think he needs to go back to Titleist and get a proper caddie and everything will be just fine.
    2016: 12.7,12.4,11.8,11.6,11.7.11.8,11.8,11.4,11.5,11.5, 11.6,11.7,10.3,10.4,10.5,10.5,9.9
    2017: 9.9,10.0,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4,9.6,9.4,9.5,9.6,9.7,9 .8,9.9.9.9,10.0,10.0
    AR: 11.0
    2018: 11.1,11.2,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.4

  9. #49

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Rory looks like he hasn't matured IMO. You look at DJ and all they talk about on US TV is how he has matured as a golfer and has realized that blasting the ball 350 yards off the tee isn't going to win big tournaments. He has learned how to make a score, he has proven that so far in the US Open.

    Rory is a great golfer, but when you look at it if you had to bet your house on someone to win a major would it be on Rory. Compare his last 10 tournaments to DJ. 1 win, 2 top 10s and 3 missed cuts compared to 2 wins, a 2nd, 2 further top 10s and no missed cuts.

    Come on Phil your a fellow Liverpool fan, Rory makes me think of Collymore. All the ability and on his day can be unstoppable, problem is you don't know which is turning up. To me that is the difference between the very best and the rest.

    I know I've compared him to DJ, but hey he is the best in the world at the minute, but then again he made a mess of his 3rd round. So lets see if DJ really is as good as people think, Tiger in his prime could go out after today and come back with a low score, can DJ?
    A few years ago Rory was untouchable, then Jason Day, then Speith, then DJ.

    I don't think we can say with any certainty that one of those golfer has matured more or less than the others until they have been consistently at the top for several seasons. It doesn't look plausible now that DJ will lose his form but we didn't think Speith would or Rory when they were playing so well.

    The thing that is bothering me about Rory is that he is consistently putting himself in contention, often in the final group (US Open excluded) which is where you would think he would be best place to kick on an win. But recently his final round has been poor. I don't know if it's because he is chasing birdies rather than just playing golf and scoring or what but he looks fragile in the final round Master 2018 and the BMW Championship.

    Both times you would have thought Rory a couple behind a player a tier below is ability would kick on an win, but both times just faded away.

    Perhaps just one big win in a situation like that would fix it, 2 behind on the final round in the last group and overhauling a decent golfer to win.
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

  10. #50
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    54,713

    Re: Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

    Rory will continue to do it his way and can't see him making any changes to his coach and management team. He's streaky. Hell have good weeks and others where he'll not play well and frankly not look bothered. I do think the likes of DJ and Day are starting to move the game on again and not sure McIlroy is quite keeping pace

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News