Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions on BRS - Help me!

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    How is it any different to just turning up and finding it busy?
    I can log on and see instantly if busy or not, not every course suddenly becomes busier because they introduce BRS.
    That is true but I would ask the question as to why it is being introduced if the current system is working. I can only see the expense being justified if it is applied to get more people on to the course, be it members of pay and play golfers and to attract more revenue to the course (not necessarily a bad thing but a point worth making).

I can see plus and minus points to both sides but I like the flexibility that pitching up and playing gives me. I agree that it does work for competitions and stops club comps getting held up by other groups playing in between but for general play it is not for me.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    because without the BRS there were known quiet times which enabled members to enjoy the golf course they paid a chunk to be a member of. By introducing the BRS the club soon realised that they could make more money selling these slots for 60 quid a fourball on tee off times and didnt care the impact it had on the members (then wondered why they lost a chunk of members)
    Pretty much how it is at our place - everyone knows when the roll ups go out throughout the week , and they either join in or go out when its a quiter period , all the KO's are arranged in the quieter periods and a lot of the rolls ups dont have consistent numbers.

There is no "correct" answer - what will work will be what the members want - we enjoy a free tee and people can just rock up.
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

because without the BRS there were known quiet times which enabled members to enjoy the golf course they paid a chunk to be a member of. By introducing the BRS the club soon realised that they could make more money selling these slots for 60 quid a fourball on tee off times and didnt care the impact it had on the members (then wondered why they lost a chunk of members)
    That’s different to the short notice turn up argument, we can book up to 28 days in advance, like your course we know when it tends to be quiet and although it may be cheap to play it’s not full all the time, for those who wish to play at a particular time on a particular day it’s ideal.
    South Shields is close to me and is a very good course and with no disrespect to them, unless they virtually charge next to nothing to play there it’s not suddenly going to get full due to BRS, they already get a lot of visitors at reasonable prices.

I need to know that I have a tee-time booked when I'm pressed for time (e.g. evening rounds), and I can book strategically at quieter times. Love BRS- there's even a decent app for the mobile.
    2013- 24 > 22.8 > 22.9 > 23 > 22.2 > 20.6
    2014- 20.6 > 20.7 > 19.1 > 18.2 > 15.5 > 15.2 > Rule 23 > 13.4 > 13.5 > 13.6 > 13.7 > 13.1 > 13.2 > 13.3
    2015- 13.4 > 13.5 > 13.6
    2016- 13.6 > 13.3 > 13.4 > 13.5 > 13.6 > 13.0 > 12.4 > 12.5 > 12.6 > 12.7 > 12.8 > 12.9 > 13.0 > 13.1 > 13.2 > 12.3 > 12.4 > 12.5 > 12.6 > 12.7
    2017- 12.9 > 13.0 > 13.1 > 13.2 > 13.3 > 13.4 > 13.5 > 13.6 > 13.7 >13.4 > 13.5
    2018- 13.6 > 13.7 > 13.8 > 13.9 > 14.0 heeeelp

Prisoner of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
    That is true but I would ask the question as to why it is being introduced if the current system is working. I can only see the expense being justified if it is applied to get more people on to the course, be it members of pay and play golfers and to attract more revenue to the course (not necessarily a bad thing but a point worth making).

I can see plus and minus points to both sides but I like the flexibility that pitching up and playing gives me. I agree that it does work for competitions and stops club comps getting held up by other groups playing in between but for general play it is not for me.
    It maybe a bit of both, make it easier for members and to try and increase revenue for the Club, previously we ran a paper system, if you wanted to enter a comp on a weekend you turned up on a thursday night 9 days before and queued up, ideal for the retired and unemployed who could get to the Clubhouse early afternoon and get the front of the queue, we’d often have between 50-80 people queueing up.
    Now we have BRS we have online booking in the Clubhouse only on the Thursday night and the system goes live on the internet 9:00am friday mornings, we now get no more than 15-20 turning up on the thursday.
    As for the flexibility of simply pitching up, I, like others, enjoy that, but there has been instances when I’ve turned up to find societies booked in, I still enjoy just pitching up, but I’ll always now check BRS to save disappointment.

because without the BdRS there were known quiet times which enabled members to enjoy the golf course they paid a chunk to be a member of. By introducing the BRS the club soon realised that they could make more money selling these slots for 60 quid a fourball on tee off times and didnt care the impact it had on the members (then wondered why they lost a chunk of members)
    That is a club problem, not a BRS one. I wouldn't go near a club without BRS. Time is precious, I want to know that I can get out at a time of my choosing, one that I know in advance, and BRS allows that.

I've been at a club where you just turn up and spent too long waiting for my turn to go out. It's archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    That is a club problem, not a BRS one. I wouldn't go near a club without BRS. Time is precious, I want to know that I can get out at a time of my choosing, one that I know in advance, and BRS allows that.

I've been at a club where you just turn up and spent too long waiting for my turn to go out. It's archaic.
    i agree its a club problem, but its only arisen due to the introduction of BRS. As someone paying a membership it led to a much decreased members experience.

have been a member at clubs with and without and much prefer to be somewhere without, but accept were all different and at times want different things.
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Assistant Pro

My previous club did have BRS and it was really handy, especially for the comps when your regular playing partners wasn't able to play you could just quickly check is there any spaces available in the time you want to play. My new club don't have any booking system and it can be frustrating that you have to wait on the first tee and ask people can you join them for the comp. I am big fan of BRS

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    My club have decided to give BRS a trial. Before making the decision a poll was taken of the members. 128 voted for the trial & 120 against, so a bit Brexitish. In my view the vote should not have taken place until after the trial but at least it went the right way, in my view.

There has been an animated discussion on the club’s Facebook page with some vociferous opposition. It is proposed that, initially, BRS will only apply to competitions & visitors, whose times will be strictly controlled. Arguments against are mainly 1. It will cost the club a lot of money, i.e. one fourball a day, at a time chosen by the club. 2. People will not be able to roll up & play when they want & 3. Big group roll ups will not be able to play at their usual time because they will not know until the day how many & who are playing. 4. A general “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

I don’t think that any of the “con” arguments hold water. I think that many of the “free” fourballs won’t be sold & the other points are easily overcome with proper management. I see the advantages as far outweighing the disadvantages.

So, opinions please. People whose clubs have BRS, how does it work? How are the perceived “cons” dealt with. What are the plus points? I intend to share this thread with my club’s Committee &, hopefully, give our members a better view of how it will work.
    While labelled 'Opinions on BRS', this thread is not really about BRS per se! It's about Club Booking systems and the relationship between the Club and its members!

From what I've seen, BRS itself 'does what it says on the tin'!

As for the attitude of members to booking systems...that's something for each club to address/consider imo! But as I've a tendency to decide in a rather ad-hoc way, I'd sooner know that I've booked a tee time than simply turn up and hope!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Was dead against it till 2 clubs I was a member of got it. The only downside experienced was the Thursday night that previously was busy with players coming to book times became almost dead.

Perhaps the best benefit I found was for evening golf. No more turning up on spec for a quick 9/18 only to find the first tee with a queue.
    Give it big humpties