Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Stiff Or Regular?

If your going to change get a fitting it’s worth the money.
    It will save any expensive errors.
    You don’t have to buy clubs off them.
    Get your spec and look around for any deals.
    One manufacturers stiff is another’s reg so it’s worth trying as many as you can.

There is a perfect shaft for everyone you just have to find out which one it is.

I tend to be borderline between R and S flex in most manufacturers standard shaft options based on my swing speed. In most I don't like the S flex and don't get it working so well. For my last custom fit (I25's) they solved it by hard stepping the shafts which worked a treat. As I advance in age, I'm sorely tempted to start dabbling with graphite shafts and seeing if they have any benefits for me

Journeyman Pro

It very much depends on the actual shaft.

Steel shafts vary in weight by as much 55 grammes (75 grammes to 130 grammes, raw weight) and can have very different bend characteristics.

If you are going new take the opportunity to get custom fitted if you do not already know your preferred weight and flex of shaft.

The easiest start point is to do a web based shaft fit on truetemper.com or kbsshafts.com
    Last edited by jim8flog; 14-Jun-2018 at 18:29.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

I’ve only ever noticed weight. Get a fitting and try some out!

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    It very much depends on the actual shaft.

Steel shafts vary in weight by as much 55 grammes (75 grammes to 130 grammes, raw weight) and can have very different bend characteristics.

If you are going new take the opportunity to get custom fitted if you do not already know your preferred weight and flex of shaft.

The easiest start point is to do a web based shaft fit on truetemper.com or kbsshafts.com
    This ^^ I hear to often regular or stiff and it is never as simple as that. Too many variations between shafts. That being said solid advice from most experts is to play the softest flex that you can control. I find I can't control most regular shafts as the dispersion is everywhere, but when controlled and hit well they go further than the stiff I play. With my stiff shafts I get excellent dispersion and that is what in my opinion a stiffer shaft will give you, if your happy to give up a little distance.

Challenge Tour Pro

I play soft flex shafts , I left my clubs down south as I am returning in a few weeks, so I’ve been playing my old regular flex clubs and surprised how different they are , they feel more like stiff shafts to me.

It would be helpful if you tried regular shafts and compared the difference, you could go to a pro and ask to use a 7 iron in regular flex and take your own 7 iron hit 20 each and see the difference.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    I've been using metal stiff shafts every since I've been playing for no reason whatsoever. I do know it's about swing speeds, but does it really make that much difference? I'm sure my swing speed isn't fast enough for stiff shafts but I seem to do ok with them or am I missing out by not switching to regular? My reason for asking is that I've got a growing itch for new clubs.
    there is no standard to flex through all the shaft manufacturers

more important is the weight of shaft along with the bend profile along the shaft - plus also the right length & lie angle

swing speed just gives a very general ball park of where a fitter might start

weight of shaft can help with swing path & the weight & the bend profile can greatly help with finding center of the club face at optimum chs for the individual swing motion plus both can help with having the best optimum launch conditions - launch angle / spin rate / ball speed etc

anyone buying clubs really should get fitted
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5º M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15º M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19º M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Head Pro

I tried lots of different things from the 'range bin' at my local driving range. Different shafts, different length, ... . Then when I went to AG it turned out that they recommended me the clubs I tested myself to anyway.