Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stiff Or Regular?

I've been using metal stiff shafts every since I've been playing for no reason whatsoever. I do know it's about swing speeds, but does it really make that much difference? I'm sure my swing speed isn't fast enough for stiff shafts but I seem to do ok with them or am I missing out by not switching to regular? My reason for asking is that I've got a growing itch for new clubs.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

Money List Winner

Re: Stiff Or Regular?

It's more about weight, and swing transition, than purely swing speed.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

I find it weird that you went straight to stiff first. Most people would try regular first before deciding they need to switch to stiff I would have thought?

It's definitely worth trying some regulars. Try and find somewhere where you can try the same club in regular and stiff side by side to get a true feel for it.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Assistant Pro

To answer this question i hit some different flexs with my pro. Got the best consistent results from regular, but prefered the feel of stiff. Senior was an experience to hit haha. I'd say go have a hit and see, i dont buy that it makes the world of difference.

It makes a difference to me. I have the swing speed of a sloth, when hitting it well, so stiff do not work at all for me. Regular are just the chap.

I do get what Duncan is saying but swing speed must come into it to a degree.

My son had ladies pings for a season or two as he was growing up. He could hit them for miles. I found them to be like comedy, trickshot clubs as they were so whippy. Could not hit them for love nor money.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I find it weird that you went straight to stiff first. Most people would try regular first before deciding they need to switch to stiff I would have thought?

It's definitely worth trying some regulars. Try and find somewhere where you can try the same club in regular and stiff side by side to get a true feel for it.
    You say this but I started playing golf at the beginning of summer bought a cheap Wilson starter set and the man in shop sold me Cobra F7 driver for £100 with the set. I only found out yesterday that the shaft is an extra stiff adilia thingy. I'm wondering myself if I should buy a new driver or just persevere with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    It makes a difference to me. I have the swing speed of a sloth, when hitting it well, so stiff do not work at all for me. Regular are just the chap.

I do get what Duncan is saying but swing speed must come into it to a degree.

My son had ladies pings for a season or two as he was growing up. He could hit them for miles. I found them to be like comedy, trickshot clubs as they were so whippy. Could not hit them for love nor money.
    Swing speed is a big part but many in the business are swaying towards the weight of the shaft playing as big a role. As Duncan said, transition is another area to look at as is release of the club head.
    I have a fairly aggressive transition and a fairly late release so I need heavier shafts to keep everything in place. Flex comes into it but recent tests by Crossfield and others show it to have less significance than has been thought in the past.
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Tour Rookie

My girlfriends club are all nice and light lady flex

I hit her clubs so long, high and straight.

If I could get them 2 inches longer think I would be a better player using them

Quote Originally Posted by Dasit View Post

One of my golf mates, when I started playing with him a few years ago, he was using a ladies 3 and 5 wood that must have been 20 years old. I swear he hit 3 wood about 270 yards which is pretty long, but my god would he slice it sometimes. He has a pretty fast swing.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dasit View Post

Just try A flex clubs.....job done.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...