Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backstopping.

Backstopping.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-walke...213840962.html

This seems to have reared it's head this week after Jimmy Walkers comments on twitter.
    It surprises me because I would have thought that this would be one of the rules that a pro definitely would know, but the way Jimmy tweeted about it he seemed ignorant that it was illegal to do it consensually (sp?).

I've done it in team games for my partner without a word being said, and if a word was said I'd then go and mark my ball just in case.

But as for normal Medals etc. I mark my ball everytime if I can, and expect others to do the same.
    Handicap 13.5

Journeyman Pro

Re: Backstopping.

If you can put with that degree of precision to get a predictable cannon of another ball then good luck to you !!!

There's a few things golfers do that may be questionable but this does not exactly rank as the crime of the century in my book.

Because it was never clear and concise I always thought it was courteous to leave a ball if it could in fact assist a fellow player. I viewed it as a 'rub of the green' as it was very fortunate to actually hit it and benefit from it.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

I don't really understand how this makes any real difference. I can't recall ever seeing a guy hit another player's ball from a putt or chip. Seems insignificant to me. When I'm on a green and someone else is putting I usually ask the putter if they'd like me to mark my ball or not. And that's in terms of whether it's in their eye-line and likely to put them off, I never considered they would say no on the basis that it might stop their ball rolling too far past.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Challenge Tour Pro

It's not when putting though is it - isn't it related to shots from off the green (eg putting or chipping from the fringe)

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    It's not when putting though is it - isn't it related to shots from off the green (eg putting or chipping from the fringe)
    It is. You cannot legally hit another ball if you are already putting from the green.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

I've seen plenty of chips from off the green where one ball hits another and ends up closer to the hole than they would have been.
    All legal at the time ofc, as the players involved didn't get the chance to mark their ball, nor did they have a conversation about it.

Leaving your ball as a backstop is only illegal if you 'collude' to do so with another player.
    If you say nothing, then it's fine.
    Handicap 13.5

I've had a severely thinned chip cannon off a ball and go in for a birdie. I guess there's a 50/50 chance that a ball will be deflected towards the hole. One things for sure I've seen, and experienced, plenty of balls that would have been well past if the sting hadn't been taken out of them by hitting another ball.
    Give it big humpties

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lazkir View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-walke...213840962.html

This seems to have reared it's head this week after Jimmy Walkers comments on twitter.
    It surprises me because I would have thought that this would be one of the rules that a pro definitely would know, but the way Jimmy tweeted about it he seemed ignorant that it was illegal to do it consensually (sp?).

I've done it in team games for my partner without a word being said, and if a word was said I'd then go and mark my ball just in case.

But as for normal Medals etc. I mark my ball everytime if I can, and expect others to do the same.
    I liked the part where Jimmy Walker got cocky and said "Golf is hard. You should try it some time." and the guy basically said "I played European Tour and Australian Tour for 20 years, so I have tried it."

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

When playing 4BBB I would ask an opponent to mark his ball if it was near the hole and it was their turn to play.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5