Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Assistant Pro

Re: Algarve golf holiday tips needed

Plus you get to take a photo next to the Sir Bobby Robson statue at Vila Sol

If you are intending to play Vilamoura Old Course take a current handicap certificate with you. It is the only course I have ever needed to produce one before being allowed to play.

Assistant Pro

When did you play it Clive? I played it last September and they weren't interested in HCP certificates at all. There is a starter on the first tee, but didn't ask for that. What an opening tee shot by the way from that elevated tee

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    If you are intending to play Vilamoura Old Course take a current handicap certificate with you. It is the only course I have ever needed to produce one before being allowed to play.
    6/7 years ago I was told the same and they did ask for it! Played it a few times since and they never did again.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    We first started going to the Algarve over 20 years ago but have tried various other destinations over the past few years which laterly included Turkey. This spring we went back to the Algarve because a couple of our group felt a bit uneasy about Turkey. We stayed in the Dona Filipa Hotel and played five rounds at Pineros Altos and San Lorenzo and must say the standard compared with Belek is second class. We are already booking for next year in Turkey at a considerably less cost than Portugal. I would love Portugal to be better, but I'm afraid the standard of service, hotels, restaurants and courses is poor compared to what it used to be.
    Couldn't agree more with this. I organise our annual tour and we've being going to Portugal for years, decided to try Turkey this year (with much reluctance on my part) Hated to admit it but it won me over. Can get 7 nights in Turkey for the price of our usual 5 in Portugal with the added bonus of Turkey being all inclusive.

To the OP, if it's your 1st time organising I'd go through one of the usual tour companies, a lot less hassle and they can get the better prices. For a first time I'd stay somewhere in Vilamoura which gives you the delights of the marina in the evening. As others have said maybe in future years look to the Western Algarve there are some gems there which most don't venture that far away from Faro. Played Boavista and Espiche last year they were great courses
    In The Bag
    • Callaway Epic
    • Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep
    • Callaway XR Steelhead 4I - PW
    • Callaway MD 3 - 52 58 64
    • Ping Scottsdale TR

Current Handicap - 11.6

Quick question for those that have been to Turkey........I'm going for a week over New Year but it isn't a golf holiday. I might sneak out for a round, anybody know what course conditions are like at that time of year and I assume it is possible to hire clubs?

TIA

Assistant Pro

We have been to Amendoeira the past few years and loved it! Courses were epic and the facilities, including the apartments and villas were first class. You get unlimited golf too and we found ourselves going out for 36 holes each day just because we could. Absolutely loved it there and can't wait to go back again! The Faldo course is rock hard and very uphill. You need the buggies! with the O'Connor more traditional. some epic tee shots down hills and up hills though on the Faldo...you've got me feeling all nostalgic for it now.

+1 for Espiche and Boavista especially on twilight rates!

Just back from 5 rounds at Vilamoura Old Course, Quinta do Lago North, Quinta do Lago Laranjal, San Lorenzo, and Vila Sol.

Have played them all before, I love them all in different ways.

Very hard to rank them in order, but I'll do my best, if it helps other travellers :

1. San Lorenzo 10/10 golfing heaven.
    2. Quinta do Lago North 10/10 Gorgeous course and conditioning
    3. Old Course Vilamoura 9.5/10 As above
    4. Quinta do Lago Laranjal 9/10 As above, but slightly weak 1st and 18th holes
    5. Vila Sol 8/10 but 10/10 for value
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 6

Assistant Pro

Nice. Heading there in September and playing Old Course, QDL North, Monte Rei, VDL Royal and Laguna (had to have one "budget" course in there), as green fees are not cheap