Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

County Championships

We are unusual in that our County championships for Nairn-shire only has two clubs in it. But the last few years the numbers taking part has fallen to levels that it is no longer viable so this years has been cancelled.

We are not the first to lose it, Inverness -shire hasn't had one for a few years now and they have 10 clubs.

with the number of Cat 1 players at both our clubs you would think it would be full, but alas, the last two years have been 30 ish taking part from 600 reg playing members.

my understanding is that 36 holes in a day is now too much for the younger guys with family's and other things to do. Last time i played it a couple of years ago. i left at 8am and didn't get home again until after 9pm so literally the whole day.

So how is your county champ doing and what are the numbers taking part like ?

Re: County Championships

56 in Norfolk.
    Srixon Clubs. Puma Wardrobe. and a Smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by NorwichBanana View Post
    56 in Norfolk.
    56 players?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    56 players?
    Yes, this then gets cut down to the top 20 on Sunday.
    36 on Saturday, 36 on Sunday.
    Srixon Clubs. Puma Wardrobe. and a Smile on my face!

61 players in the Suffolk Amateur Championships at the weekend.(36 holes in a Day).

In last years Suffolk Open (pros and amatuers) there were 50 entrants.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Dorset is 36 holes on the Friday then the top 16 go through to matchplay over the weekend. The numbers entering seems very much dependent the venue. Some years it ballots out, others it struggles to get a decent field.

Tour Winner

When you think how many clubs, and how many players, there must be in Surrey, it came as a bit if a surprise to learn that just 65 players entered. But then again, it was a three day event which l guess does rather impact things? 36 hole strokeplay on Friday, with the top sixteen going through to matchplay knockout rounds over the weekend.
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Jul)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

considering the limitations on population and clubs We are not as bad as i thought then. I was envisaging some of those down south would be in the Hundreds taking part and a ballot in place

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Only about 30 odd in ours and it was hosted at our place. I was strongly against it as I donít believe a golf course should be shut to its members for a whole weekend and for such little numbers , plus members who wanted to play had to pay to play their own course. A club gains nothing from hosting them and the surrounding clubs offer very little tee times to the affected members. Hopefully wonít see them hosted at ours again

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Only about 30 odd in ours and it was hosted at our place. I was strongly against it as I donít believe a golf course should be shut to its members for a whole weekend and for such little numbers , plus members who wanted to play had to pay to play their own course. A club gains nothing from hosting them and the surrounding clubs offer very little tee times to the affected members. Hopefully wonít see them hosted at ours again
    I seriously dont get this, any club who provided entrants should be automatically offering a handful of tee times to members of the host club, that said Beds golf is and always seems to have been a bit of an odd one (partly due to its lack of decent tracks i expect)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7