Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Re: Should I go back to Game Improver Irons?

Ive played with a lot of cat 1 golfers in comps and you be surprised how many use game improvement /forgiving irons it works for them so they use it ,one 2 handicaper I played a singles summer knock out against a couple of years back was using some high forgiving cobra irons with graphite shafts and he could really crush a ball .I been toying with changing my Nike vapor pro combo irons I was fitted for few years back and do hit them well!but on a off day they’re hard work! off a 12 h/cap forgiveness will give me more confidence and in turn play better golf.i been fancying taking a gamble with the cobra one length irons .
    Taylormade m4 9.5deg Titleist 915F 15degTitleist 915f 18degNike vapor pro combo irons 4-pwCleavland 588 Rtx 2.0 satin 50,54,58Taylormade spider tour in black /Taylormade tpx /Handicap 12

Westwood for years used G15’s and at the time he was one of the best ball strikers in the game, I know at least one cat 1 who still uses them - Use whatever clubs produce the results

Journeyman Pro

What I find interesting is that the Maltby charts are based upon 6 irons.

It is probably why the 6 iron for my set (Mizuno JPX 900 tour) is virtually unused. Switched for something a little more forgiving, Taylor Made TP CB Tour.

I still love the short irons in a MB.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Westwood for years used G15’s and at the time he was one of the best ball strikers in the game, I know at least one cat 1 who still uses them - Use whatever clubs produce the results
    Wasn’t it the i irons he used & G Driver?

I know he used the G10 driver for quite sometime.

I think that a major driver for the belief that blades and better player irons are not for the mid/high handicapper is that the longer irons are harder to hit than their GI equivalents. However, I have hybrids up to 6 and so only use irons from 7 upwards ... and the differences in playability between the various types of iron are less in the shorter irons. I have an old set of blades and I can hit the short irons as well as my usual G20s. Just saying!
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 22). Callaway driver, woods and hybrids. Ping irons. Callaway wedges. Odyssey putter. Srixon balls.

Tour Winner

Some interesting responses, and a lot of food for thought. When I'm playing well, I hit these Callaways as good as anything, it's just that since I had them, that doesn't seem to be too often. I agree with one of the earlier posts, I've always said that I probably had some of the swing faults with the GI clubs, but they masked it to a degree. Agree with the post above re: using the shorter irons as better player clubs, but maybe use GI's for the longer irons. I must admit that I'm really happy, and confident hitting the 7 iron in this set, and generally hit that one well, alongside the 6, 8 and wedge, but for some reason, the 9 iron always pulls left, probably 98% of the time, and the 5 iron is now doing that a fair bit too.

I'm half leaning towards more lessons and grinding it out, and half towards trying some GI's, perhaps mixing the set. Both the wife and the boy questioned the decision to switch clubs when I was playing well. They're now questioning my thoughts on switching back . I'm not sure there's an easy solution, but certainly some things for me to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    Some interesting responses, and a lot of food for thought. When I'm playing well, I hit these Callaways as good as anything, it's just that since I had them, that doesn't seem to be too often. I agree with one of the earlier posts, I've always said that I probably had some of the swing faults with the GI clubs, but they masked it to a degree. Agree with the post above re: using the shorter irons as better player clubs, but maybe use GI's for the longer irons. I must admit that I'm really happy, and confident hitting the 7 iron in this set, and generally hit that one well, alongside the 6, 8 and wedge, but for some reason, the 9 iron always pulls left, probably 98% of the time, and the 5 iron is now doing that a fair bit too.

I'm half leaning towards more lessons and grinding it out, and half towards trying some GI's, perhaps mixing the set. Both the wife and the boy questioned the decision to switch clubs when I was playing well. They're now questioning my thoughts on switching back . I'm not sure there's an easy solution, but certainly some things for me to look at.
    I also think the best solution for you might just be to get GI's in the 5 and 6 (and 4 if you normally have a 4), and keep your better player ones for the shorter irons.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post

Might be worth getting the lie angles checked on this 2 clubs

To the OP....

Stop prevaricating.....do it.

I'm in exactly the same boat playing CF16's and am considering upsizing to something more forgiving.

I need a guinea pig to take the plunge and feedback the results and you sound like the very person I've been looking for.

Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    To the OP....

Stop prevaricating.....do it.

I'm in exactly the same boat playing CF16's and am considering upsizing to something more forgiving.

I need a guinea pig to take the plunge and feedback the results and you sound like the very person I've been looking for.