Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Should I go back to Game Improver Irons?

Re. The link, glad to be of service...

There's a lot of chatter on places like golfwrx about how the numbers are calculated. All the measured variables are put into an algorithm and out pops a number which is one club maker's idea of what constitutes forgiveness.

I think that some modern tech like the flexible iron faces might not be accurately reflected in the numbers.

It might be useful if you like irons with a particular trait (CG position or moi for instance) as you could see others which are similar.

Or you could do what I did, and hit a few you like the look of and just pick the ones that feel best...

I think this is a common thing, players change from their GI to a better player iron and start to struggle. A GI iron can really hide some swing flaws as you can pretty much hit them anywhere on the face and they still go, where as a better player iron will give you the ability to hit different trajectories and and shape it left to right. The trade off is that you loose a lot of forgiveness to get this, so when you start hitting them all over the face they start to come up short and you loose confidence.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Back to the CF16s.....
    Maltby reckons the Pro Apex irons are easier to hit than the CF16s which are only marginally easier to use than the muscleback MB iron.....
    Another easier to use club is the Titleist CB forged.......
    Colour me unconvinced......
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

just checked what my MP4's come out as... 397, I'm surprised i find them as forgiving as the JPX825 pro i had before and these rate far higher

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    I think this is a common thing, players change from their GI to a better player iron and start to struggle. A GI iron can really hide some swing flaws as you can pretty much hit them anywhere on the face and they still go, where as a better player iron will give you the ability to hit different trajectories and and shape it left to right. The trade off is that you loose a lot of forgiveness to get this, so when you start hitting them all over the face they start to come up short and you loose confidence.
    Good explanation but I think it's even more basic than that!

'...a better player iron will give you the ability to hit different trajectoriesand shape it left to right, right to left etc' - whether you want to, or not!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post

'...a better player iron will give you the ability to hit different trajectoriesand shape it left to right, right to left etc' - whether you want to, or not!

Yes indeed... I play i25 irons...before I bought them, I tested a G series set on the basis that I'd take all the help going. (13 handicap) I found that if I drove in the trees, shaping a shot out was almost impossible. In cross winds it was aim one side and hope.

But, my irons are neither "butter knives" nor "shovels!" Therein lies the issue... shop around and test
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I sometimes wonder why anyone other than low single handicap players would not play the most forgiving clubs they could. As some other people have said, it's a hard game, seems silly to make it harder for the sake of.. what?
    It depends where you get your enjoyment from I guess.

I'm a hacker but get far more pleasure out of playing old blades than I would making a low score with full GI technology assistance.
    Yes, I hit plenty of crap shots but the good shots I hit are bliss and I feel that they're all my own work rather than that of some boffin in an R&D lab. I've got it so bad that I change my iron set every week and don't even get a chance to fully familiarise myself with one set.

It appears that for most golfers low score is king, no matter what equipment is used to achieve it.
    I asked in a other thread a while back; If a club came out that was guaranteed to find the target everytime and be 50% longer than your current club would you buy it? Nobody answered.

At the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Last edited by Crow; 13-Jun-2018 at 17:04.
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.4
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

You should play with what gives you the most enjoyment, regardless of what others may think of them.
    Forever trying.

I think it boils down to what be thing, get what gives you the best chance of getting round in a low score. What you use doesn’t matter, my buddy who plays off +2 uses AP3 irons, not exactly what I classify as the better players irons, that would be the AP2.

I have seen plenty of low handicappers using the likes of the PING G series, none of them seem to be bothered that they can’t manipulate their shots.