Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Should I go back to Game Improver Irons?

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    This I know is me. I need a magic cure for the overswing which has now started affecting my irons as well as woods....... pretty sure a set of old Pings is it
    Channel your inner Jon Rahm. That's what I do
    H/C: 9.8 - Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland - Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Subzero. - 3 wood: Callaway XR16 - Hybrids: TM M1 2017 3 - TM RBZ Stage2 4. - Irons: Ping Ie1 5-PWWedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. - Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    It was a distance thing for me, a semi creamed shot with my pings goes about the same distance as a creamed shot. With better player irons it doesn’t get anywhere near there.
    I just had a look at this (although a lot of people have doubts about its veracity)
    http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-head-ratings/

It shows that my fly z pluses are more forgiving than most playa-style cbs. That might explain why I hadn't noticed a similar drop off in performance. And believe me, I'm no henrick when it comes to ball striking... I bought them on a bit of a whim, so guess I just got lucky.

Apex 2016 show quite a low number, so might indicate that it's not just in the op's head.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    I just had a look at this (although a lot of people have doubts about its veracity)

It shows that my fly z pluses are more forgiving than most playa-style cbs. That might explain why I hadn't noticed a similar drop off in performance. And believe me, I'm no henrick when it comes to ball striking... I bought them on a bit of a whim, so guess I just got lucky.

Apex 2016 show quite a low number, so might indicate that it's not just in the op's head.

That's quite interesting, although I have no idea how good/ true it is as I haven't heard of it before now but reading what it is, it then lists the scores and categories. The Apex are listed thus

Callaway Apex #6 (2016) 2016 349

Which falls in to the classic category, a level I am clearly not at......

Classic
    251 - 400 - Difficult To Play: Very good players only. 0-5 handicap is best and a solid ball striker. No game improvement features. Still used by some tounrament pros. Best to use 325 as minimum MPF.

So how does this impact a custom fit, since quite clearly on the day, the Callaways were by far and above the best bat I hit? Although even more interestingly, The TM P770 fall into the GI category, and these were the main competitor to the Apex on the day I was fit. The Apex seemed to be a little better on dispersion at the time.
    Last edited by need_my_wedge; 13-Jun-2018 at 13:10.

Money List Winner

Yikes!

I've just looked through that am already panicking about the irons I've just put back in the bag....

At 212 🤔

The amazing bit it that side by side with the RBZ Tour heads (616l they (R9TP) look almost identical in size, shape, sole, loft, grooves or any other dimensional element.

Wish I hadn't looked now.

Must be a typo...
    Last edited by duncan mackie; 13-Jun-2018 at 13:19.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

I sometimes wonder why anyone other than low single handicap players would not play the most forgiving clubs they could. As some other people have said, it's a hard game, seems silly to make it harder for the sake of.. what?
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

I’ll have a better look when I get home, 832 for mine though, proper knobber clubs 😂

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I sometimes wonder why anyone other than low single handicap players would not play the most forgiving clubs they could. As some other people have said, it's a hard game, seems silly to make it harder for the sake of.. what?
    Trust me, I switched back because I find that particular iron easiest to hit consistently! I'm too old to care about which club I hit a particular distance, only how easy bit is to hit one of them that distance accurately and consistently.

So I agree your principle!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Tour Rookie

Interesting link, thank Shows my irons x14 at 980, very forgiving and with my strike not surprised.

lol, I just opened that link and lo and behold, my Callaway Steelhead XRs are the very most forgiving clubs in the world for 2017! Lucky me.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

I played with our esteemed leader Mr Harris a couple of years back and had a chat regarding why I wasn't a single figure golfer. I told him what I thought the reasons were and asked him, having played with him a couple of times what he thought- one reason he gave was that my Mizzy JPX's were not the easiest clubs to hit. I changed back to game improver clubs almost immediately and halted the run of .1's and the have stabilised to 12 h/c for the last couple of years.

Game improvers are so much easier to hit imo
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0