Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Yes courses do change. Years ago the Old course at Sunningdale was ranked higher than the New in every ranking list but now the New is ranked higher in a lot of cases. Whilst still a heathland course, the Old has changed into more of a parkland which is a shame in my opinion because that is not how it was originally intended. I firmly believe the heathland tracks should be protected as they were intended. You can build a parkland course anywhere but there are limited places you can build heathland courses.
    I find it sad that you don't care or think it is important that our classic courses are changing.
    The rankings at a guess consists of people who are probably more purists, and therefore the rankings are heavily bent towards the purer forms of courses and older courses IMHO.

I have no problems with your comments about my thoughts on how I view mother nature & history of golf courses, for me the history or original playing styles of golf courses isn't top of my requirements .

Agree with what LQ has just posted, BD have been doing similar(via storms and removal), to remove the encroaching trees which do affect play. I would be gutted if BD removed almost all the trees on the course and it ended up looking/playing like Delamere for instance. Never played Woodhall so certainly wasn't commenting about Woodhall, my comment was in respect of D4S sweeping statement 'removing all the trees that spoil the original playing characteristics, they are much better courses for it'

Most heathland courses have trees , I think Hankley must be one of the most open I have played yet still got plenty of trees but what I notice with the heathland courses is the trees don’t really encroach onto the fairways or spoil the level of heather - Woburn for example is your pure parkland and the trees are a big part of the course. Where they have cleared the trees on the Hotchkin they were starting to really encroach in and you couldn’t see the heather in those areas.

If the same happened at Sunningdale or Swinley etc then they would cut the trees down as well to ensure the heather has air and light to breath

Quote Originally Posted by ADA View Post
    The rankings at a guess consists of people who are probably more purists, and therefore the rankings are heavily bent towards the purer forms of courses and older courses IMHO.
    No that isn't actually true. The ranking criteria is quite strict and uniform, it doesn't differentiate between different types of courses. It is based on the quality, design and presentation of the course.

The important thing though is that you enjoy your golf regardless of the courses you are playing

Playing the Hotchkin for the first time on Monday, I thought the bunkering was perfect.

They dictate your strategy for the hole because they are so deep and they are everywhere. But if you get in them, they are very playable. I went in two (6th and 14th holes), and made sandy pars each time.

I particularly enjoyed threading it between the two giant fairway bunkers on the 2nd hole, setting up a birdie. I hope those fairway bunkers don't get changed, they make that a really challenging driving hole.
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 5

I haven;t played half as many heathlands as a lot of you, but what I have noticed by my favourite one's so far is that you have an almost constant structure to the hole: Fairway, semi rough, heather, trees.

When the trees get too closer to the fairway the character of the heathland is lost, and trying to remember back to when I played the Hotchkin, 6 or so years ago, the back nine certainly seemed more claustrophobic than it should have.

I’ve just found out an old friend lives nearby and can get me on.
    I may be able to play there after all 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    I’ve just found out an old friend lives nearby and can get me on.
    I may be able to play there after all 
    You can go to Woodhall any time you like as they accept green fees
    10 hcp and rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Quaker View Post
    You can go to Woodhall any time you like as they accept green fees
    You know how to kick a man when he’s down 😁

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ADA View Post
    BD have been doing similar(via storms and removal), to remove the encroaching trees which do affect play. I would be gutted if BD removed almost all the trees on the course and it ended up looking/playing like Delamere for instance. Never played Woodhall so certainly wasn't commenting about Woodhall, my comment was in respect of D4S sweeping statement 'removing all the trees that spoil the original playing characteristics, they are much better courses for it'
    Good timing as I'm sat reading thus on the benchon the 9th hole which was badly damaged by Storm Doris - the left hand side used to be tree lined with firs but is now open to the elements. The plus side being it's opened up stunning views of the forest

There's a few holes where encroaching trees are being removed, most notably to the right of the 14th tee - IMO this was needed as from the back tee a big cut was needed to find the fairway. Similarly I think one on the left of the 13th tee tee needs removing or at least cutting back - again from the back tees a slinging draw is needed to hold the fairway

Like you though I hope not too many further trees are lost as I love the feeling of each hole being in isolation and being framed so beautifully. Even when the course is full it feels like you have it to yourself

Can't comment on the Hotchkin as haven't yet had the pleasure - it's on the bucket list though!