Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin

Myself and Autumn Wind had a trip up there today to play in the Summer Pairs Open

For £90 for the pair itís superb value

All the changes that have been done have just enhanced the course to make it even better , just love the course , it was in superb condition , fairways excellent and the greens were like playing on snooker tables -

Just a brilliant venue - must be one of the best inland courses in the UK , must play for anyone
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

Re: Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Myself and Autumn Wind had a trip up there today to play in the Summer Pairs Open

For £90 for the pair itís superb value

All the changes that have been done have just enhanced the course to make it even better , just love the course , it was in superb condition , fairways excellent and the greens were like playing on snooker tables -

Just a brilliant venue - must be one of the best inland courses in the UK , must play for anyone
    It'll be a wreck when us forum members carve it up next week 😁
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

I was there playing it today too, haven't been for 2 years but I felt the changes had taken something away from the course.. areas looks barren and holes that were previously tree lined had just been opened up into nothing. I thought it was a shame, the course is great but I preferred it how it was previously.

Cheers for the invite to play today, Phil. And for driving up there .

Iíve played many of the Top 100 UK courses, and Woodhall Spa in the sunshine today was one of the most enjoyable courses Iíve ever played. I loved every single hole. Every playing surface was in beautiful condition, and there wasnít a bad hole on the course.

I loved it.
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 5

Ps Was nice to meet Glyn too.
    Last edited by The Autumn Wind; 11-Jun-2018 at 20:07.
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 5

Tour Winner

When Hotchkin designed the course he did not envisage it becoming tree lined.

Hence, like several other leading heathland courses, a programme has been undertaken to return these tracks to how they were intended to play.

To my mind these changes will only benefit Woodhall.

Assistant Pro

Played today too. Was penal as expected but changes are good.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMickie View Post
    When Hotchkin designed the course he did not envisage it becoming tree lined.

Hence, like several other leading heathland courses, a programme has been undertaken to return these tracks to how they were intended to play.

To my mind these changes will only benefit Woodhall.
    totally agree - always loved the course but i love heathland courses when they open ip all the tree encroachment and let them breathe - i only hope Doak doesn't soften any of the great huge bomb-like bunkers - Phil also loved many of these the last time we played a couple of years ago with Rick and Rich - a great memory!

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PNWokingham View Post
    i only hope Doak doesn't soften any of the great huge bomb-like bunkers
    A few are softened, e.g. the right one by the 6th green, in the spirit of the original design as they got built up over the years. Some are removed, e.g. the one on the corner of the 10th dogleg. But fear not it is still a course which has to be navigated through like a minefield

Quote Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind View Post
    Ps Was nice to meet Glyn too.
    Nice to meet you as well
    10 hcp and rising.