Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DX3 SoftSpin - anyone tried?

I've been using the DX2, but the weekend just gone was probably the first time I really thought that I might need a ball with a bit more spin for the summer. Hit a couple of nice approaches into the front part of greens that just bounced and rolled off the back.

Had a look and noticed the DX3 SoftSpin in shops, presumably just a better spinning 3-piece version of what I'm using, so shouldn't take too much adjustment, seems ideal. I'm not sure if it's just an old Wilson ball in new packaging or what, but anyone tried them at all? If there is barely any difference to the DX2 though I'll look at something else instead.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Re: DX3 SoftSpin - anyone tried?

It can often just be the greens. Played yesterday and the greens were slow and a little fluffy, but didn't hold anything at all!

I play with some folk who have been using a Pro V1 and struggling to hold greens, low single figure golfers, so I can assure you that the ball striking isn't an issue.

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on....
    Srixon Clubs. Puma Wardrobe. and a Smile on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by NorwichBanana View Post
    It can often just be the greens. Played yesterday and the greens were slow and a little fluffy, but didn't hold anything at all!

I play with some folk who have been using a Pro V1 and struggling to hold greens, low single figure golfers, so I can assure you that the ball striking isn't an issue.

Also, a ball that spins more around the greens, will equally spin more off a driver usually, so a slice becomes a big slice and so on....
    I would have assumed that - but the manufacturers ALWAYS say that it doesn't, lol. Here's a quote from the TodaysGolfer review I just Googled:
    "A new inner core generates lower-spinning drives for extra distance, while a softer surlyn cover increases spin on approaches."
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • DX2/Optix

Challenge Tour Pro

Far better ball than the DX2 IMO - feel much nicer and definitely react 'better' around the greens

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I would have assumed that - but the manufacturers ALWAYS say that it doesn't, lol. Here's a quote from the TodaysGolfer review I just Googled:
    "A new inner core generates lower-spinning drives for extra distance, while a softer surlyn cover increases spin on approaches."
    I wanted the super spin ball that stopped and spun back a little, but realized it wasn't so easy to judge. I use the DX2 optix, I like the Lime/Orange, and get on fine with it. I find in the summer, I'm best to play for front of the green and let the ball run on rather than changing to a 'spin' ball that causes me trouble off the tee!!

if it's a Surlyn cover then it won't be that good IMO. Urethane covered balls still produce the best results for feel and spin rates.

Often pricier than Ionmer covers such as Surlyn but if you want better control around the greens then I would suggest getting urethane.

Although I'm sure they get lambasted on here the Dunlop DP1-V3 is a three piece ball with urethane cover that are sold at sports direct for £14 per dozen online. I've played them before and they are not bad balls at all, a little harder than the premium three piece balls but for the money very good, they get shunned because they are Dunlop. Even though Dunlop are owned by the same company that own Srixon and they often share the factories.
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Not sure if you are loyal to Wilson Staff, but Nike have a 4 piece ball on Clubhouse golf. £15 a Doz or £12.50 if you order more than 1!

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Nike-RZN-Tour-Platinum-Practice-Golf-Balls.html#SID=8563

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sho...-Tour-Platinum

I wanted the super spin ball that stopped and spun back a little, but realized it wasn't so easy to judge. I use the DX2 optix, I like the Lime/Orange, and get on fine with it. I find in the summer, I'm best to play for front of the green and let the ball run on rather than changing to a 'spin' ball that causes me trouble off the tee!!
    I've been using Optix, I had a mare though as I bought the pink ones last week and it turns out they are awful. As soon as they hit the ground in the distance I can't see where they've gone at all. The orange ones are much better though.

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    if it's a Surlyn cover then it won't be that good IMO. Urethane covered balls still produce the best results for feel and spin rates.

Often pricier than Ionmer covers such as Surlyn but if you want better control around the greens then I would suggest getting urethane.

Although I'm sure they get lambasted on here the Dunlop DP1-V3 is a three piece ball with urethane cover that are sold at sports direct for £14 per dozen online. I've played them before and they are not bad balls at all, a little harder than the premium three piece balls but for the money very good, they get shunned because they are Dunlop. Even though Dunlop are owned by the same company that own Srixon and they often share the factories.
    Yeah, I've heard all about those ones. That's another one I'll definitely consider - dirt cheap for a 3-piece.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • DX2/Optix

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post

Indeed.

The TM project (a) has been a bit of a revelation in this area over the last couple of weeks.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Journeyman Pro

Not necessarily true with 3 or more piece balls.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs