Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Cup

Curtis Cup

Sorry if there was a thread over the weekend I missed. Did anybody watch it?
    I thought it was great to have on Sky Sports and really enjoyed it despite the result!!

Id love to see a lot more amateur and team golf live on sky. Understand it may not be everyones cup of tea but they could hide it behind the red button.
    I would much prefer to watch elite amateurs compete in a big event than another run low ranking tour event...
    H'cap 10

Tour Rookie

Re: Curtis Cup

GB&I took an absolute spanking.

If that was a boxing contest it would have been stopped on Saturday. The American girls looked superior in every way. There was only a couple of the GB&I squad who can come away from that performance knowing they did their bit but the vast majority of our girls looked out of their depth. I totally appreciate that we had a really young team and that they are not as experienced as their American counterparts but overall I was very disappointed in the standard of golf offered from them.

The American College system clearly offers so many playing and competition advantages not to mention, practice facilities, better courses and better coaching.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

the result was very emphatic although looking at the matches there were a lot of close encounters but all went the US way.

Even Look at the Sunday where they were swept 8-0. There were 4 matches finished 2&1 and another 2 went down the 18th.

The collegiate golf system gives the US a massive edge in the mens and womens game.
    H'cap 10

Quote Originally Posted by jimjoachim View Post

The collegiate golf system gives the US a massive edge in the mens and womens game.
    The slight counter to that is that any decent British teenage golfer is very likely to end up going across to that same system in America. I know of a few in Northumberland who are there at the moment, I would be surprised if that is not replicated across the country. The Americans are kindly training our next generation as well as their own, although best not let Donald know or he will stop that.

I do accept it will train more US teenagers than our own but we don't miss out entirely on their very fine system.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Journeyman Pro

Better facilities, better weather producing better players, it's just the way it is.

All true but didn't our lot win last time?

Also this is still GB&I , not all Europe
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    All true but didn't our lot win last time?

Also this is still GB&I , not all Europe
    I think they did and had an emphatic win when it was at Nairn in 2012. i also noticed that a couple that were in the recent team also played back in 2012 so not true they were inexperienced.

Journeyman Pro

Next one's @ Conwy

I watched as much of it as I could, between playing golf over the weekend and the patchy TV coverage, and the result was disappointingly emphatic but our team were always going to be up against it. I don't agree that they played badly but just came up against a stronger team and the standard is so much better over there.

I read an interview with Olivia Mehaffey in which she summed it up. Before she went to college in the USA she was pretty dominant in Europe (she won the Helen Holm among others) and was ranked #3 in the world. But when she got to the states and saw how good they college players were she knew there was no way she had been the third best player in the world.

We can be competitive, though, and did win it last time and have won around 7 of the last 16. But it's a bit cyclical - some of our best players from last time have turned pro.

Tour Rookie

Lily May Humphries won the Helen Holm this year and the Girls Amateur at Enville last August but the competiton in USA is tougher at college and most are in college and approx 20. Lily May is 16 as is Annabel Fuller. USA did have a 15 year old though but it would be interesting to compare the players playing experience.