Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

I'm running a Mac Pro with Windwos 10 on it. Anything Apple just seems overpriced, as I found out trying to find a PSU for my last Mac Pro (was a pre owned pressie when my last desktop went south)
    The only thing I would say about the Mac Pro is that the case is a thing of beauty build wise. Other than that, I would have no qualms about using a normal Intel/AMD desktop again.
    Forever trying.

Q-School Graduate

Every Windows laptop I have had has been great to start off with, then performance has gradually gone downhill to the point after a couple of years when they become totally unstable, running slow, system crashes etc. I worked in IT for 25 years and know my way around a computer, did regular maintenance on them, but they would all go the same way in the end.

I bought a Macbook 4 years ago and have not had a minute's bother with it, it is still as fast as it was when it came out the box.

The reason is build quality and an OS that doesn't use anywhere near the same amount of resource.

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Every Windows laptop I have had has been great to start off with, then performance has gradually gone downhill to the point after a couple of years when they become totally unstable, running slow, system crashes etc. I worked in IT for 25 years and know my way around a computer, did regular maintenance on them, but they would all go the same way in the end.

I bought a Macbook 4 years ago and have not had a minute's bother with it, it is still as fast as it was when it came out the box.

The reason is build quality and an OS that doesn't use anywhere near the same amount of resource.
    Are you just the lucky one then? My work iPad has slowed up just as every Apple product people I know have has done.
    Forever trying.

Opinions seem to be split, I think I'll stick with windows, better the devil you know.
    Thanks for the reples everyone
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Opinions seem to be split, I think I'll stick with windows, better the devil you know.
    Thanks for the reples everyone
    At least software is in greater numbers and are often cheaper too.
    Forever trying.

Finances, banking, shopping etc.

Much safer to do all those on a Mac or other Apple product. IPad Pro is great with a keyboard!

Making videos and posters etc, Mac wins again.

I would only buy a PC for gaming purposes and general web browsing.

Club Champion

Which part of the dark side were you interested in? The hardware or the Operating system? There are plenty of Linux distros out there that can give you the feel of Mac OS running on your PC. I have both Mac and PC and over the years both have degraded in performance. Since moving to Windows 10 on a fairly new laptop I have not had any performance or stability issues, touch wood.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Are you just the lucky one then? My work iPad has slowed up just as every Apple product people I know have has done.
    A few I know must be lucky too then as my 4 year old macbook is as quick as it was out the box, likewise my mate and sister in law with macbooks.

You can't compare tablets and phones to laptops, they are night and day apart.

Ryder Cup Winner

At least software is in greater numbers and are often cheaper too.
    I'd beg to differ, Apple will give you a free OS update every year whereas a windows upgrade isn't cheap. Everything else is pretty much similar with the only real exception being some open source software where Apple quite rightly in most cases block a lot of installs because of security and stability issues.

Q-School Graduate

Was talking about MacBook not iPad. Saying that, my iPad is 3 years old and is still working fine apart from some websites it just doesn't like. Also got an iPhone 6 which is coming up for 4 years old and still running ok. Compared to the Samsung phones and tablets I had previously, they have been much more reliable and long-lasting.