Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,958

    Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Can anyone help me please?

    I've always used a windows computer but I've always been curious about the dark side, but the prices have always put me off.

    I've done some research and it seems the 2012 model is the one to get with 8GB of Ram and 500GB memory minimum. A fusion drive would help.

    As the Mac mini is about a 1/3 of the price of the 27'' iMac, would this be a good way to start?

    And is the Mac that much better than windows?

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  2. #2
    Money List Winner ScienceBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,641

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Storage doesnít have to be internal.

    If you have lots of stuff consider cloud or desktop storage. Much more affordable than it used to be and you wonít notice much difference vs internally HDD.

    I actually had that setup with my old Pc, small fast internal and 4TB external on the network.

    Iím curious to see how things go if you switch as Iíve considered the same and all our other devices are Apple.

    For me it depends on what steam games work!

  3. #3
    Global Moderator brendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Co. Down
    Posts
    12,481

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Depends what you want it for Bob, internet browsing, documents then it's not worth it. Come to think of it, the operating system is the only difference as they use intel parts these days just like a regular pc half the price.
    I honestly cannot see why people buy Apple devices these days beyond the want of a badge.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

  4. #4
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,958

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    Storage doesnít have to be internal.

    If you have lots of stuff consider cloud or desktop storage. Much more affordable than it used to be and you wonít notice much difference vs internally HDD.

    I actually had that setup with my old Pc, small fast internal and 4TB external on the network.

    Iím curious to see how things go if you switch as Iíve considered the same and all our other devices are Apple.

    For me it depends on what steam games work!

    Quote Originally Posted by brendy View Post
    Depends what you want it for Bob, internet browsing, documents then it's not worth it. Come to think of it, the operating system is the only difference as they use intel parts these days just like a regular pc half the price.
    I honestly cannot see why people buy Apple devices these days beyond the want of a badge.
    Thanks guys.

    I did wonder if it was the badge that you were paying for and it seems that might be the case.



    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  5. #5
    Ryder Cup Winner SocketRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,398

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    The Mac operating system is different to windows and IMO much easier to use. As someone who used windows for around 20 years and mac for 10, I would not want to return to windows, it is very easy to learn the Mac OS. Mac is also more stable and secure, you don't get the amount of system errors and I have never had a virus on it.
    Play it cool Trigger!

  6. #6
    Money List Winner GB72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rutland
    Posts
    8,969

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    The Mac operating system is different to windows and IMO much easier to use. As someone who used windows for around 20 years and mac for 10, I would not want to return to windows, it is very easy to learn the Mac OS. Mac is also more stable and secure, you don't get the amount of system errors and I have never had a virus on it.
    Agree with this. My wife converted to using Mac and will not change back. The system is far easier to use and as there is only one company producing Apple products as opposed to the hundreds producing PCS and their various parts, everything just seems to work better. Also connects flawlessly to her Ipad and phone which cannot be said when trying to get windows and google devices to talk to each other.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

    AND THE WINNER IS...............

    http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

    Handicap 14.9

  7. #7
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Bletchingley, Surrey.
    Posts
    511

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Had a Mac for the last 15 years, no issues at all. When ever I use windows now it just seems clunky, slow and outdated.

    With an Iwatch, Ipad, Iphone everything syncs back to my mac easily
    A bag of Ping sticks Member at Knole Park, Kent.

  8. #8
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,958

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Synching is not an issue as I don't have anything else Apple except a 15 year old ipod

    But thanks for the replies.

    It would seem no-one has a Mac mini?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  9. #9
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,688

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    The mac mini is a good starting point for a desk top mac.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator brendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Co. Down
    Posts
    12,481

    Re: Is the Mac mini a good starting point?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Synching is not an issue as I don't have anything else Apple except a 15 year old ipod

    But thanks for the replies.

    It would seem no-one has a Mac mini?
    Yea I support a couple of them as they are used for art packages in one of our companies. I honestly couldn't justify any cost moving to them, they are still prone to operating system problems, spinning wheel issues etc, just the same as windows. Lesser 3rd party software coverage also sucks the big one.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News