Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

The Dreaded Shank

I have played today and put about 6/8 shots on my score due to hitting my wedge off the hosel around the green sending the ball way to my right..
    What causes this and how do you remedy it.....it seemd to be destroying my card all the time......

Re: The Dreaded Shank

Quote Originally Posted by rapper View Post
    I have played today and put about 6/8 shots on my score due to hitting my wedge off the hosel around the green sending the ball way to my right..
    What causes this and how do you remedy it.....it seemd to be destroying my card all the time......
    Saw this recently. Might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWjvOC2ERY&t=619s

There are a number of reasons though and my usual fault is moving the weight onto the toes in the swing so moving the path forward to present the hosel. If they persist, get a lesson. Quickest way to find your particular fault and a fix

Tour Winner

thing is unfortunately there's a bunch of ways that can lead to a socket - know it's the old obvious answer but a pga pro would spot your particular issues in a matter of moments

so without seeing exactly what the swing is like can only suggest a couple of things to consider

generally most folks that turn up on the lessons tee with this issue & particularly if it's a more common problem with the wedge game

then the initial root cause most often stems around a grip hold issue & the first 2 feet of movement of the club aways from the ball
    meaning the grip hold issue is mostly around the handle being high up in palm of the lead hand along with that lead hand being a ways too weak (often times also along with a too strong hold with the trail hand)
    then that initial motion aways from the ball has the lead hand roll over the trail hand which is a motion that both opens up the the club face a bunch & also takes the club head on a path a good ways too far inside (so early on the club head is moving behind the heel line)

with the shorter swing length of the wedge swing there's no ways given those takeback conditions that the club face can be 'squared back up' so the foremost part of the club head coming to ball is the heel - often times too the hips a ways too square with this at strike & weight then also too much up on the toes

so real important the initial takeback of the club head is not the lead hand/wrist rolling over the trail hand with the clubehad coming a ways inside
    place a tee on the ground around 12" straight ways behind the ball & look to take the clubhead directly over the tee & at the same time have the club face stay looking at the back of the ball for those 12"

plus you should find the following 2 vids a bunch useful
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5º M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15º M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19º M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Tour Winner

Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.

Tour Winner

Go on the range and hit balls out the toe.

Were the shanks with pitch shots, kind of half swing?

Challenge Tour Pro

Absolutely without getting technical - just hit a few dozen in practice out of the toe

Suffered with this on my wedges over the winter. Had a lesson and turns out MY issue was that my shoulders were way too open at address. Now I just make sure my shoulders are in line with my target. Such a simple fix for me, and now I’m back hitting my wedges well again.

Assistant Pro

yes that's when it happens....