Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Cheeky Scots

  1. #11
    Major Champion bobmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    19,954

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    I should then propose that you adopt the Scottish method and applaud your team when they have played well, irrespective if they win or lose.
    I am Scottish and I do applaud the losers but the fact remains they lost, they failed to win.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

  2. #12
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,972

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    My secondary school had a cricket team - and we were rather good - but then again we were good at everything

    That said - if you were a cricketer you were viewed as a little bit odd. After football and rugby - hockey was the third team sport with cricket somewhere fourth. We did cricket in 'games' - but only on the playground with practice stumps and balls - and for most I think all that was got out of it was an understanding of what cricket stumps and a cricket bat looked like - and how to hold the bat. In 'games' we never once got to grass...

    But cricket was always very popular outside of the cities - in the villages and small towns. My best pal at secondary school was in the cricket team - but then again he was from Lairg where he played the game at primary school.

    BTW - following the 1967 model when we beat England the World Champions and so became Word Champions - does this victory over the ODI World Champions make Scotland the ODI World Champions until we are beaten
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

    And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

    Job done

  3. #13
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27,561

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    My secondary school had a cricket team - and we were rather good - but then again we were good at everything

    That said - if you were a cricketer you were viewed as a little bit odd. After football and rugby - hockey was the third team sport with cricket somewhere fourth. We did cricket in 'games' - but only on the playground with practice stumps and balls - and for most I think all that was got out of it was an understanding of what cricket stumps and a cricket bat looked like - and how to hold the bat. In 'games' we never once got to grass...

    But cricket was always very popular outside of the cities - in the villages and small towns. My best pal at secondary school was in the cricket team - but then again he was from Lairg where he played the game at primary school.

    BTW - following the 1967 model when we beat England the World Champions and so became Word Champions - does this victory over the ODI World Champions make Scotland the ODI World Champions until we are beaten
    England aren’t the World Champions

    For someone with such a keen eye for detail I would have thought you would check it out first

    As for the match - it was a flat track intent on giving loads of runs , Scotland batted well , England started off batting well and then threw away wickets cheaply - well done Scotland , it was a good win for them

  4. #14
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,994

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post

    BTW - following the 1967 model when we beat England the World Champions and so became Word Champions - does this victory over the ODI World Champions make Scotland the ODI World Champions until we are beaten
    I applaud your approach . I am sure in the bars afterwards Scottish supporters saw their team as the new World no 1 ranked team. England are no 1 ranked, not world champs.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  5. #15
    Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    9,629

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I applaud your approach . I am sure in the bars afterwards Scottish supporters saw their team as the new World no 1 ranked team. England are no 1 ranked, not world champs.
    I'm pretty sure that's how it works. And, conversely, England are now demoted to associate status and not allowed to play in the world cup

  6. #16
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,994

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's how it works. And, conversely, England are now demoted to associate status and not allowed to play in the world cup
    Sport is a brutal world,
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  7. #17
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,972

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    England aren’t the World Champions

    For someone with such a keen eye for detail I would have thought you would check it out first

    As for the match - it was a flat track intent on giving loads of runs , Scotland batted well , England started off batting well and then threw away wickets cheaply - well done Scotland , it was a good win for them
    Shows how much I know about cricket ... but I am happy to big up England on the ODI front
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

    And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

    Job done

  8. #18
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S W Scotland
    Posts
    13,219

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    My cricket career consisted of two house matches.....I was elected team captain on the strength that I captained the rugby team. [also smallest guy in both teams.]
    We won the first match by some distance and we were well ahead in the second when I was sent orf.
    Seemingly for not taking the match seriously enough

  9. #19
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15,972

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    My cricket career consisted of two house matches.....I was elected team captain on the strength that I captained the rugby team. [also smallest guy in both teams.]
    We won the first match by some distance and we were well ahead in the second when I was sent orf.
    Seemingly for not taking the match seriously enough
    Didn't hold a cricket bat in 'anger' until I was 25yrs old and living in Bristol. Inter-dept comp and team captain collared me to play with a 'do you bat or bowl' To which I replied 'I'm a goalie'. So he put me behind the stumps and over the years I became not a bad wicket-keeper. Could never bat - I didn't really know how to - could bowl a little - but being behind the stumps I never had to other than in 'everyone bowls' matches.
    to infinity and beyond...

    ...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

    And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

    Job done

  10. #20
    Journeyman Pro Bunkermagnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Cheeky Scots

    No one wants to mention those plucky Scots losing to those giants of rugby union the USA?.
    Thought not....
    Forever trying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News