Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheeky Scots

Journeyman Pro

Cheeky Scots

Not only do they have better golf courses than us but now they've gone and beat us at cricket too.

Bet that was a good atmosphere at the end of the game!!!
    Resident @ People's Republic of Mancunia

'Golfing' @ www.mangc.co.uk & www.conwygolfclub.com

Re: Cheeky Scots

And don't forget, those 11 blokes in the team are literally the only people on Scotland who play cricket!

Quote Originally Posted by huds1475 View Post
    Not only do they have better golf courses than us but now they've gone and beat us at cricket too.

Bet that was a good atmosphere at the end of the game!!!
    I saw chunks of it. Strangely enough the crowd were very muted for large parts of the game but obviously sprung to life at the end. Well done Scotland. You could pick apart England's performance but that would be churlish. Hopefully it will give the game in Scotland a boost.

Ryder Cup Winner

Yes, and Scotland only lost 5 of its defenders.

Being serious.....I think I heard someone say that England would have had to score the second best total in the history of one day cricket to defeat Scotland.
    Great effort on their behalf to fall just short. Anyone who thinks that the team failed does not understand sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post

Being serious.....I think I heard someone say that England would have had to score the second best total in the history of one day cricket to defeat Scotland.
    Great effort on their behalf to fall just short. Anyone who thinks that the team failed does not understand sport.

Doon I agree. It was a slightly artificial score as it was a small ground, for this level, and a flat pitch but Scotland did a great job with the bat. The pitch negated the English bowlers and the Scots batted superbly, particularly the guy who got the 100. The win then came out of scoreboard pressure. England were cruising at various points of the chase but threw it away repeatedly with brainless decisions. Those decisions would not have mattered if the score was 250 but it wasn't. Scotland held their nerve, were excellent and it was fabulous entertainment for the crowd.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    And don't forget, those 11 blokes in the team are literally the only people on Scotland who play cricket!
    Cricket has been played in Scottish schools for as long as the 1970s at least. I played for Craigmount school against many other Schoo in Edinburgh as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by wrighty1874 View Post
    Cricket has been played in Scottish schools for as long as the 1970s at least. I played for Craigmount school against many other Schoo in Edinburgh as a kid.
    played a lot longer than that, Highland Cricket was even going since the 20's and at least two Scots have Captained England in the past.

Mike Denness and Douglas Jardine

Quote Originally Posted by wrighty1874 View Post
    Well it was a joke, you know?

It wasn’t played at my school. My guess is that was the more common experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post

The aim of the game is to try and score more runs than the opposition.
    They failed.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    The aim of the game is to try and score more runs than the opposition.
    They failed.
    I should then propose that you adopt the Scottish method and applaud your team when they have played well, irrespective if they win or lose.