Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

One Plane Golf Lesson

I'm really looking forward to my lesson this week, with a "qualified" One Plane teacher.
    I'm going to see JJ Vallely who is based at Matfin Hall in Northumberland. JJ has been on courses to the States run by Jim Hardy and has had golf clinics with Matt Kuchar.
    I spoke at length with JJ and his knowledge was mind blowing, and explained with clarity. I'm excited as it'll be refreshing to finally have a Pro who will be singing from the same sheet.
    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 10.5 Deg Diamana Blue
    Titleist 915f 3 Fairway Wood Diamana Red
    Cobra DWS Hybrid Aldila NV 65R
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cleveland Tour Action 53 Deg GW
    Cobra SW
    TaylorMade Ghost Maranello Putter

Handicap 14.4

Re: One Plane Golf Lesson

Cool say Hi from Jack

I'm up there again to see John this month

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    I'm really looking forward to my lesson this week, with a "qualified" One Plane teacher.
    I'm going to see JJ Vallely who is based at Matfin Hall in Northumberland. JJ has been on courses to the States run by Jim Hardy and has had golf clinics with Matt Kuchar.
    I spoke at length with JJ and his knowledge was mind blowing, and explained with clarity. I'm excited as it'll be refreshing to finally have a Pro who will be singing from the same sheet.
    Bit of a problem if you are a 'natural' 2-Planer!!

Hardy makes it clear that neither 'swing' is necessarily 'better' than the other, simply 'different' - but all swings could be categorised into either 1-Plane or 2-Plane. His mentor (John Jacobs) generally taught 2-Plane, though, when asked, commented that Ben Hogan swung 'in one plane'!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Jensen keep us posted how you get along John is a great coach and its a nice set up where he 's at. Have you read any of Hardy's books?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer;1852663[B
    ]Bit of a problem if you are a 'natural' 2-Planer!![/B]

He's not!

Hardy makes it clear that neither 'swing' is necessarily 'better' than the other, simply 'different' - but all swings could be categorised into either 1-Plane or 2-Plane. His mentor (John Jacobs) generally taught 2-Plane, though, when asked, commented that Ben Hogan swung 'in one plane'!
    Hardy does say that the one plane swing is more reliable because it has fewer moving parts. However not all people, especially old farts like me, are flexible enough to do it. Don't know how long I can keep it up.
    Taylormade M1 9˝°, Oban Devotion 6 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Motocaddy S7 Remote
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by mteam View Post
    Jensen keep us posted how you get along John is a great coach and its a nice set up where he 's at. Have you read any of Hardy's books?
    Will do.
    Have read and often refer back to "Plane Truth"

If you fly to a “one plane” golf lesson, how do you get home?

Tour Rookie

Well, had my first lesson with JJ, wow absolutely amazing. The guy has a real passion for teaching
    and his enthusiasm shines through. His knowledge is incredible and he clearly has a drive.
    The set up at Matfen is impressive along with his studio suite, where he has all sorts of aids to help
    with teaching, ie hoops, tennis rackets, hockey sticks, balls etc.
    I'll not go into too much detail, but after recording my swing he showed me the flaws I was making and explained what happens in the golf swing, the face and how the handle reacts. So a bit of technical stuff which was explained with clarity.
    So the message was, even though I thought my action was 1 plane, it wasn't following the rules exactly. I clarified with JJ and due to where my club is in the backswing and how I swing, 1 plane is definitely for me. He picked up I was too tense at address in the shoulders and arms. However the biggest factor is how I come down into impact. I was swinging towards the target, rather than in an arc with relaxed arms. For a 1 plane swing I need to swing down and exit low bottom (FOR ME).
    So JJ illustrated with a tennis racket and an oven glove what I need to do. The sensation for me is that I now feel I'm coming over the top, I have to strike down with the feeling of my right palm hitting my left thigh. It's as though I have a knife in my right hand and that I am trying to stab myself in the left thigh with a flat right hand. It's something that never dawned on me after reading the plane truth book. It just goes to show how hard it is to understand details from a book.
    The great thing is after spending quite a bit of time with JJ I can relate to what he says, it's now a case of doing the drills and putting the work in.
    Regardless of what type of swing you have, with his depth of knowledge JJ would certainly be able to help you,,so if you're not too far away pay him a visit.
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cobra SW

Handicap 14.4

Its a strange feeling throwing your right hand down near you thigh when done right the club head just fires through

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by mteam View Post
    Its a strange feeling throwing your right hand down near you thigh when done right the club head just fires through
    So I take it you're working on the 1 Plane Swing too, are you ?
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cobra SW

Handicap 14.4