Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swing Speed

Assistant Pro

Swing Speed

Hi all,

Might be oppeneing a can of worms but looking for drills to improve my club head speed without going the gym or buying training aids?

Any home drills?

My current driver speed is 100.1mph
    My current 5 iron speed is 83mph
    My current 7 iron speed is 81.8mph
    My current PW speed is 79.4mph
    Taylormade R15 - 12* Draw Setup
    Taylormade Burner 4 Wood - 16.5*
    Titleist AP3 Custom Fit - 5-PW
    Vokey 48*/10/F Grind
    Vokey 52*/8/F Grind
    Vokey 58*/10/S Grind
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Redline Custom Aim
    Pro V1x/Chrome Soft/NXT Tour S

End Of 2018 Aim: 10.0

Re: Swing Speed

Can't help, but cue 4m posts about you hitting hit far enough already, and being better off practicing your putting.

Good luck.

Money List Winner

No home drills - get a professional to advise you where you can gain clubhead speed in your current swing.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Assistant Pro

I'd say Duncan's right there, otherwise you might be working on drills to improve something you've already got pretty good.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Titleist3 View Post
    Hi all,

Might be oppeneing a can of worms but looking for drills to improve my club head speed without going the gym or buying training aids?

Any home drills?

https://superspeedgolf.com/
    This seems to be what your looking for
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Can't help, but cue 4m posts about you hitting hit far enough already, and being better off practicing your putting.

Good luck.
    Well, here's the 1st of the 3m (somewhat disguised!). It assumes you are not a Junior btw.

How far do you hit those clubs? Are the distances consistent? Is that your 'top' speed? Or are you swinging 'within yourself'?

My big-hitting mate has had lessons from a PGA Fellow who is no stranger to extracting every mph and yard out of a swing (He's Joe Miller's coach!). His advice has consistently been to swing less than full-throttle. That's resulted in much more consistent results and distances - because the strike is much more consistent!

It's actually very difficult to increase swing speed more than marginally and maintain quality of strike (smash factor) - and a quality of strike has a far greater effect on tistance than a couple of mph in Swing speed! A 'perfect' SF (of 1.50) with a 100mph swing should (with reasonable Spin) carry about 250yds - with +/- 2.5yds/mph of ball speed. If you somehow increase Swing Speed by 10% (a very challenging thing to do; 5% is a much more realistic, if still challenging target!) that'll increase carry by 25yds, however, a slight decrease in quality of strike - a far more likely result as it only needs to be a millimetre or so in any direction off the face - will result in far greater than 10% reduction in ball speed!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    No home drills - get a professional to advise you where you can gain clubhead speed in your current swing.
    But if you really insist, this is the thing to do! I'd be willing to bet that he'd actually prefer to try to get your swing more efficient/consistent than faster!!

Oh and if you are a Junior, then swing as hard/fast as you can! Consistency will come but, as above, it's very difficult to increase 'natural' SS from early 20s!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Well, here's the 1st of the 3m (somewhat disguised!). It assumes you are not a Junior btw.

How far do you hit those clubs? Are the distances consistent? Is that your 'top' speed? Or are you swinging 'within yourself'?

My big-hitting mate has had lessons from a PGA Fellow who is no stranger to extracting every mph and yard out of a swing (He's Joe Miller's coach!). His advice has consistently been to swing less than full-throttle. That's resulted in much more consistent results and distances - because the strike is much more consistent!

It's actually very difficult to increase swing speed more than marginally and maintain quality of strike (smash factor) - and a quality of strike has a far greater effect on tistance than a couple of mph in Swing speed! A 'perfect' SF (of 1.50) with a 100mph swing should (with reasonable Spin) carry about 250yds - with +/- 2.5yds/mph of ball speed. If you somehow increase Swing Speed by 10% (a very challenging thing to do; 5% is a much more realistic, if still challenging target!) that'll increase carry by 25yds, however, a slight decrease in quality of strike - a far more likely result as it only needs to be a millimetre or so in any direction off the face - will result in far greater than 10% reduction in ball speed!

But if you really insist, this is the thing to do! I'd be willing to bet that he'd actually prefer to try to get your swing more efficient/consistent than faster!!

Oh and if you are a Junior, then swing as hard/fast as you can! Consistency will come but, as above, it's very difficult to increase 'natural' SS from early 20s!
    Thanks for the advice.

My smash factor with driver is 1.41
    Speed speed is me “giving it the full whack” so I’d be looking to gain at least 5% which would really help me...especially into wind

Tour Winner

Hi all,

Any home drills?

so an alternative way of looking at this (though any extra 'efficient' ss given good/optimum launch conditions so that extra ss is also transferred into bs would always be useful) would be - a certain david toms with a driver swing speed for the majority of his career of around 100 - 103 mph) has won around a tad more than $40M - his mid iron ss okay was a tad more than 83mph but only by a few mph

so nothing wrong necessarily with looking to add a few extra mph's but only if that is aligned with a tight centered strike pattern with optimum launch conditions - aoa/tight path to face angle #'s

although a ton of folks don't think so for real the best ways to improvement is pga supervision

it's a tad unrealistic to think ss (so distance) can be improved without better physicality or specialized ss practice or without good swing motion technique

scoring improvements generally can be improved for most folks through better course management decisions better short game technique & management plus better putting technique built primarily around distance control along with better green reading decision making

also it's probably surprising to most folks how their whole game can be improved be having a good hand placements on the handle
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5º M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15º M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19º M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Thanks for the advice.

Speed speed is me “giving it the full whack” so I’d be looking to gain at least 5% which would really help me...especially into wind
    As I stated, that 5% could be gained by a slightly better strike! 5% improvement to 1.48 would be the same 12 yards increase that a 5% increase in SS (with the same SF/quality of strike!) gives!

Oh, and have you heard the jingo 'When it's breezy, swing easy!'? Having played on links courses a lot, I can certainly vouch for that being a truism! Swinging harder into the wind almost certainly increases the spin, effectively magnifying the effect of the wind! Play sensibly and take the punishment - the rest of the field will be having the same problem! If you really want to make an adjustment for (head) wind - if it's that common - then maybe assess whether adjusting the loft of the R15 (a degree or more) down could help!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Thanks for the advice.

A 1.41 smash factor with the driver isn't great and I'd think improving that to a minimum 1.45 would be your number 1 priority.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0