Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Taking a year out to practice

Quote Originally Posted by stevench View Post
    I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau in my game where I very rarely play to my handicap and I feel like I have lost my swing.
    I never seem to get the time to practice and the only time I tend to play is in comps and the odd fiddle.
    I'm now at the point where once I go out there I feel like I'm not enjoying myself and considering taking a year out to focus on my swing, practice and just enjoy the odd social round.

Has anyone done this and was it beneficial in the long term?
    as been spoken to already 'practice' only really beneficial if the practice is on the correct lines - need to know exactly what the practice should entail to improve - practice makes permanent & that can be a huge obstacle to any kind of improvement
    if the feeling is that the 'swing has been lost' then just hitting balls unlikely to help in the long run

also as has been said playing & scoring well on course is not about just 'playing golf swing'

taking a year out to practice - honestly - would be the worst thing possible

but having good structured pga tuition supervision over that 'year' both off & on course would be the ways to go
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5 M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15 M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19 M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Not a great idea in my opinion. You need to be able to make a score even when not playing well and you can only do that by being on the course. The other concern would be if you work that hard on the practice, but without regular checks from a professional you run a very hard risk of introducing and grooving some bad habits, which may be difficult to shift at a later date. As I've learned from bitter experience, golf is played on a course not a range

Tour Rookie

You say you are not enjoying it, simple answer stop doing it and do something you do enjoy doing.

If that is practise to improve matters do it. If it means don't play in comps don't do them.

Can't really see the point, i play the game for enjoyment most of all. if you don't want to play stop if you are not enjoying it.

practice is all well and good, but as others have said you need to be able to get it round when you are not playing well sometimes. Hitting balls on a range is all well and good sometimes but no substitute for playing on a course.

Quote Originally Posted by stevench View Post
    I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau in my game where I very rarely play to my handicap and I feel like I have lost my swing.
    I never seem to get the time to practice and the only time I tend to play is in comps and the odd fiddle.
    I'm now at the point where once I go out there I feel like I'm not enjoying myself and considering taking a year out to focus on my swing, practice and just enjoy the odd social round.

Has anyone done this and was it beneficial in the long term?
    We play golf for fun, if you are going to get more fun on the practice ground than out on the course then crack on.

Sounds like taking the fun out of it to me. By all means have a couple of weeks off the course if it's not going well, but if you're not playing at all for a year then what are you practising for? Hitting some balls at the range isn't really proper golf. If I wasn't playing golf at the weekends, then I wouldn't bother practising either.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

There is no way you should take a year out to practice. Get i the course as often as you can and put the lessons/tuition into play.

Not everyone gets better at golf when they practice or have endless lessons (As demonstrated specatacularly by a long standing forumite) so don't beat yourself up about not improving at the same rate you did years ago.

If you are really frustrated take a few weeks off (although to waste the weather would be a shame).
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

I'm in the process of 'fixing things' and continuing to play - mostly in comps at weekends but grabbing holes by myself in the evenings. I have accepted that the fixing process will take time and so I have accepted that I will probably have 5 or 6 +0.1s in a row but I am confident that after that things will turn around. Off 8 h/cap my last 3 rounds have been 97 (25 over), 88 and 87 (yesterday) but I am not that bothered as I can feel the changes I am working out starting to come to fruition.

By playing comps I am allowing my handicap to go up and it will be 9 before things turn - but that's OK - gives me an extra shot for when things do change for the better. In accepting the 0.1s I feel no pressure to score...I can just work on the changes - and enjoy the knock.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Medal Winner

Better to take the rest of your life off as you will never beat the game of golf.
    Think of how much time and money you will save!!