Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Club Champion

Taking a year out to practice

I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau in my game where I very rarely play to my handicap and I feel like I have lost my swing.
    I never seem to get the time to practice and the only time I tend to play is in comps and the odd fiddle.
    I'm now at the point where once I go out there I feel like I'm not enjoying myself and considering taking a year out to focus on my swing, practice and just enjoy the odd social round.

Has anyone done this and was it beneficial in the long term?
    Last edited by stevench; 10-Jun-2018 at 11:34.

Re: Taking a year out to practice

Quote Originally Posted by stevench View Post
    Pretty much what I am doing but enforced due to young child.

I go to the range once a week sometimes two. I play a par 3 course every other weekend and slot in social rounds where i can. I do put the clubs away when the clocks change and get them out again in the Spring.

I had lessons last year, 6 in total over the summer. I also played for times.

I broke 90 3/4 rounds, swinging better than ever. I fixed my big swing flaws to the point I came back in +4 gross one round.

So far this year Iíve carried on the practice since March, after a layoff since September. I got right back into practice and playing the par 3.

Had two rounds of 18 now, just over 92 with nothing over a double and then a 34 point round where I didnít even score on 3 holes.

Itís been brilliant for my game, when I do get a membership again I hope to be in a good place to return to competition play.
    Last edited by ScienceBoy; 10-Jun-2018 at 12:05.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan

Didn't do Nick Faldo any harm!

Our club has comps EVERY Saturday... so folk like me who work away all week were only playing competition golf... often, the only balls I hit all week are on Saturday morning in a comp.

That's no good for your game at all.... this year, they relented. You can play in comp times, and you must play same format as comp, but no need to enter it if you don't want to.

Works a treat. Virtually everyone does enter the comp, but you get a choice .

Moral of the story.. do what suits your game and lifestyle, and enjoyment of both!!
    M2 driver, looking for new fairways, M4 hybrids and Ping i210 irons.
    Scotty putter....

Too much work, not enough golf!

Why not spilt the weeks you actually play and practice.

One week enter the comp.

The next play late in the evening on your own when the course is dead. Hit 4 tee shots, play the best and worst up to the green. Chip from all sides with as many balls as you have jn the bag. Putt a few. Move to the next hole and do the same. Step aside if anyone comes up behind you.

Playing only once a week and repeating the same mistakes is a recipie for poor golf and zero improvement.

Tour Rookie

Be careful not to forget that golf is not the same as golf swing. You can play good golf with a dodgy swing if you manage it well.

In addition, for me the exercise and the company really improve my weekend/wellbeing in a way that hitting balls on a range could never do.

Money List Winner

Most people plateau from about their 3rd year through to their 50th.

Practicing doesn't guarantee anything in this context; and I've friends who go to the range every single day that they aren't competing in a match, comp or open who's (relatively high) handicap hasn't moved more than 2 shots either way in the last 5 years of this regime. There are those on here who might also be considered to prove this hypothesis...

Best worse case you come back in a couple of years get handicapped to your new capability and repeat the cycle a year on.

Better by far to rationalise your enjoyment of the game within the boundaries available now.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Journeyman Pro

I did it once many years ago for about 6 months, Being on the course just became too embarrassing, for every 100 yards forward I was 50 yards right I lost a few balls on the opposite side of the adjoining fairway.

It was pre video days and the pro who I had my lessons with could not see where it was coming from because my swing was so fast.

I finally sussed it for myself after going to the range twice a week every week.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by stevench View Post
    I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau in my game where I very rarely play to my handicap and I feel like I have lost my swing.
    I never seem to get the time to practice and the only time I tend to play is in comps and the odd fiddle.
    I'm now at the point where once I go out there I feel like I'm not enjoying myself and considering taking a year out to focus on my swing, practice and just enjoy the odd social round.

Personally I think itís a terrible idea, if you want to learn to swim you need to get in the water. You want to be a decent golfer you need to go to the golf course. Maybe you just donít have the correct handicap for your lifestyle right now. Why donít you just allow it to go up then when you have more time practice and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbo View Post
    Personally I think itís a terrible idea, if you want to learn to swim you need to get in the water.
    In many ways I agree.

The best option is a hybrid as suggested earlier. Limit yourself to one competition round a month, use the other weekends to build momentum to the next competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbo View Post
    if you want to learn to swim you need to get in the water. You want to be a decent golfer you need to go to the golf course..
    This..All Day..With Bells on.