Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Medal Winner

Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post

Is the person at your club likely to do it again? Were words said relating to him playing via a buggy or is it just general muttering?
    Nothing said to them, and I may be the only one at the club 'muttering', I will have to make some discreet enquiries. Hence my starting a thread to ascertain the general feelings, rules, policies from other forum members. Would be astonished if this sort of thing is allowed in the 2 day club championship but can't find anything in writing at the moment.

Assistant Pro

It wouldn't bother me if someone aged 18 was using a buggy in a comp. doesn't make you swing better 😀

Money List Winner

Interesting way the question was worded.

If people use a buggy in Q comps then any and all advantage they personally gain will quickly be reflected in their handicap. So generally it's not a performance issue.

A fit 20 year old probably won't gain any advantage, so they aren't an issue.

Struggling to see where the real issue is?

Ah yes, the people who are prohibited from using a buggy that provides an advantage in their Q play but is able to use one in swindlers, roll ups, knockouts (maybe) and will obviously be first in line to book one for NQ open events.... banning them from using one in the club's Q comps really makes sense; not.

We have one 36 hole comp, played over one day, for which all buggies are banned...whilst I can understand the though process it's ultimately flawed because simply extending a comp from 18 to 36 deliberately to bring physical prowess more firmly to the fore isn't really club golf. As I'm physically unable to walk that far, let alone walk and play golf I simply can't play in the event.

Generally medical exemptions are a complete red herring to the perceived issue as well. Someone needing an advantage being granted it over someone who would like a potential advantage being prohibited - how does that make sense?

You might as well ban expensive, performance enhancing, golf clubs or balls because not everyone can afford them (although in this case at least their handicap will reflect the equipment they normally use!).
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

The argument given is that being able to physically walk 18 holes is as part of golf as much as freely swinging the putter. We all, most anyway, tire by the latter holes so being in a buggy gives a definite advantage to someone using one. As you point out, this will be recognised by the persons h/c you would imagine, lower rounds = lower h/c. There is the period during the drop however where the person is gaining a definite advantage.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Money List Winner

The argument given is that being able to physically walk 18 holes is as part of golf as much as freely swinging the putter. We all, most anyway, tire by the latter holes so being in a buggy gives a definite advantage to someone using one. As you point out, this will be recognised by the persons h/c you would imagine, lower rounds = lower h/c. There is the period during the drop however where the person is gaining a definite advantage.
    There's an advantage after having lessons too....probably best to ban them as well.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Interesting way the question was worded.

If people use a buggy in Q comps then any and all advantage they personally gain will quickly be reflected in their handicap. So generally it's not a performance issue.

A fit 20 year old probably won't gain any advantage, so they aren't an issue.

Struggling to see where the real issue is?

Ah yes, the people who are prohibited from using a buggy that provides an advantage in their Q play but is able to use one in swindlers, roll ups, knockouts (maybe) and will obviously be first in line to book one for NQ open events.... banning them from using one in the club's Q comps really makes sense; not.

We have one 36 hole comp, played over one day, for which all buggies are banned...whilst I can understand the though process it's ultimately flawed because simply extending a comp from 18 to 36 deliberately to bring physical prowess more firmly to the fore isn't really club golf. As I'm physically unable to walk that far, let alone walk and play golf I simply can't play in the event.

Generally medical exemptions are a complete red herring to the perceived issue as well. Someone needing an advantage being granted it over someone who would like a potential advantage being prohibited - how does that make sense?

You might as well ban expensive, performance enhancing, golf clubs or balls because not everyone can afford them (although in this case at least their handicap will reflect the equipment they normally use!).
    I would def think there is an advantage for most especially in a 36 hole event..

The Nairnshire county championship is on Saturday with 18 holes at Nairn Dunbar then 18 at Nairn, off the blue tees and with almost 1400 yards to contend with, for me now thats just too long. last time i played it i was exhausted by midway though the 2nd round. if i could use a buggy i'd prob play in it again

Make everyone carry as trolleys save energy.
    Everyone to have their bags weighed prior to teeing off and anyone’s bag under 40lb is to have weight added.
    Round to be completed in 1 hour 50 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    I would def think there is an advantage for most especially in a 36 hole event..

The Nairnshire county championship is on Saturday with 18 holes at Nairn Dunbar then 18 at Nairn, off the blue tees and with almost 1400 yards to contend with, for me now thats just too long. last time i played it i was exhausted by midway though the 2nd round. if i could use a buggy i'd prob play in it again
    Genuine question, Do you think part of the problem is that 99% of Clubs in the UK would have insufficient buggies for everyone.
    So to create the perceived level playing field we just ban their use except for medical exemptions.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post

I'm no doubting that there is an advantage to be gain by most in a 36 hole, and many in even 18 - it will vary by course and conditions.

It's difficult to dispute that there's an advantage for most in having a caddy, but they are very rarely banned!

As you move into elite amateur events you are starting to mirror the professional game in many aspects, and buggy policy tends to be one (an absolute advantage cannot be balanced by handicap factors in a scratch event).

It's self correcting in club Q events - arguably if you permit it in those you shouldn't ban it in major/board events because you then disadvantage someone whose handicap is based on having that advantage!

Club golf is supposed to be inclusive, yet here we are yet again looking to make it exclusive.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    There's an advantage after having lessons too....probably best to ban them as well.
    Really? Come on, there is a fair discussion to be had on this.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter