Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52
  1. #1
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    29

    Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    I would be interested on views, or particularly club policies, on using buggies in your club's monthly medals / stablefords, and trophy competitions.

    One club I know has a 'no buggies' in these competitions unless a medical reason is provided, another has a no restrictions at all. Thoughts please.

  2. #2
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,916

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    Ask Casey Martin.

  3. #3
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,718

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    We had this discussion at our club last year, brought about by our local league being asked the question and that prompted us. Our decision was that people could use buggies if they wished. We did not request a medical certificate but we do not expect the people using them to do so just for laziness. We were happy to take the word of whoever wants one that they would struggle without. Not everyone who struggles to do 18 holes has a medical problem. They could just have a dodgy knee, be old etc. We want them to play comps still. If we saw a fit and healthy 20yr old lad using one then I would expect them to be taken to one side and advised that it was not acceptable.

    With regards to the league I don't know the outcome as I was only at the one meeting, standing in for someone. The general consensus of the meeting I was at was that they would be largely sympathetic but may require the medical exemption from their doctors.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  4. #4
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    29

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    Tyrion, thanks for your reasoned reply, (unlike the other one).
    I hope it works for you, although your club has 'introduced' a grey area, something I think rules alleviate. Your fit and healthy 20 year old could say 'there's no rule against it' and although being unpopular, he could still play on? I totally agree that common sense should prevail, unfortunately the situation you describe actually occurred at one of my local clubs in the last monthly medal - category 1 players, aged under 25, using a buggy. Don't agree with it personally.

  5. #5
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,916

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    The "other reply" is very apt but guessing you don't have a clue who Casey Martin is, you learn something new every day you know, you're welcome.

  6. #6
    Tour Winner Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    2,610

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    We had this discussion at our club last year, brought about by our local league being asked the question and that prompted us. Our decision was that people could use buggies if they wished. We did not request a medical certificate but we do not expect the people using them to do so just for laziness. We were happy to take the word of whoever wants one that they would struggle without. Not everyone who struggles to do 18 holes has a medical problem. They could just have a dodgy knee, be old etc. We want them to play comps still. If we saw a fit and healthy 20yr old lad using one then I would expect them to be taken to one side and advised that it was not acceptable.
    No idea what my club's policy, but this is what I would agree with.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Twire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Exeter..ish - Devon
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    At my previous club there were no restrictions on buggies, and to be honest it never crossed my mind whether it would be a problem in qualifiers. Personally, I tend to play better when walking as it gives you more time to think.

    My current club doesn't have buggies, so no problems there.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

  8. #8
    Ryder Cup Winner patricks148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    At ours and Nairn Dunbar you have to have a medical exemption.

    Only reason i know is someone i play with has just had to get one to play in comps and he's a member at both clubs and had to get one for both.

  9. #9
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,718

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by woofers View Post
    Tyrion, thanks for your reasoned reply, (unlike the other one).
    I hope it works for you, although your club has 'introduced' a grey area, something I think rules alleviate. Your fit and healthy 20 year old could say 'there's no rule against it' and although being unpopular, he could still play on? I totally agree that common sense should prevail, unfortunately the situation you describe actually occurred at one of my local clubs in the last monthly medal - category 1 players, aged under 25, using a buggy. Don't agree with it personally.
    The approach we took was to avoid setting down a fixed rule as that can then catch people they are not intended to. The simple answer is to say you must have a medical certificate. However, as I mentioned in my first post, that can still catch some golfers who would not qualify for a certificate but struggle with 18. There is another thread going on at the moment where a seniors open is stopping at 15 holes for those who want it as the next hole has a hill and that puts some off. Our method would allow for these golfers who may well not have a certificate but just find 18 a struggle when walking.

    The moment the situation gets abused, as was the case at your place, we would have a word to say not again. If the person used the 'there is no rule against it' to intimate they would do it again then we would bring one in next meeting. We would do our damnedest to word it to be as inclusive as possible but stop the people abusing the situation.

    We have left it down to the conscience of each golfer, hoping for the best, but would quickly stop it if required. There may be advice from the R & A on how to do that but at this stage we have not had to look at it. I would hope there is some clever wording out there that would help.

    Is the person at your club likely to do it again? Were words said relating to him playing via a buggy or is it just general muttering?
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  10. #10
    Medal Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    29

    Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    The "other reply" is very apt but guessing you don't have a clue who Casey Martin is, you learn something new every day you know, you're welcome.
    You guess wrong then, I do know who Casey Martin is. I was hoping to glean some relevant information and informed opinions from club members, rather than some sarcastic, smart Alec response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

What Tour Players Splash Their Cash On

With millions in the bank, what do pro golfers spend their money on?

June 21, 2018

Play in the BMW Golf Cup International at Woburn

Golf Monthly readers are being offered the exclusive opportunity to play in the Regional Final for the BMW Golf Cup International over the superb Marquess Course at Woburn with a chance to go on and compete in the National and World Finals in St Andrews and Mexico.

June 21, 2018

Mickelson “Embarrassed And Disappointed” After US Open Penalty

The five-time major winner has revealed that he is embarrassed and disappointed by his episode last week

June 20, 2018

Why Do Golfers Shout Fore?

What is the etymology of this golfing word of warning?

June 20, 2018