Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Medal Winner

Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

I would be interested on views, or particularly club policies, on using buggies in your club's monthly medals / stablefords, and trophy competitions.

One club I know has a 'no buggies' in these competitions unless a medical reason is provided, another has a no restrictions at all. Thoughts please.

Blackballed

Re: Buggies in Club Qualifying Competitions

Ask Casey Martin.

We had this discussion at our club last year, brought about by our local league being asked the question and that prompted us. Our decision was that people could use buggies if they wished. We did not request a medical certificate but we do not expect the people using them to do so just for laziness. We were happy to take the word of whoever wants one that they would struggle without. Not everyone who struggles to do 18 holes has a medical problem. They could just have a dodgy knee, be old etc. We want them to play comps still. If we saw a fit and healthy 20yr old lad using one then I would expect them to be taken to one side and advised that it was not acceptable.

With regards to the league I don't know the outcome as I was only at the one meeting, standing in for someone. The general consensus of the meeting I was at was that they would be largely sympathetic but may require the medical exemption from their doctors.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Medal Winner

Tyrion, thanks for your reasoned reply, (unlike the other one).
    I hope it works for you, although your club has 'introduced' a grey area, something I think rules alleviate. Your fit and healthy 20 year old could say 'there's no rule against it' and although being unpopular, he could still play on? I totally agree that common sense should prevail, unfortunately the situation you describe actually occurred at one of my local clubs in the last monthly medal - category 1 players, aged under 25, using a buggy. Don't agree with it personally.

Blackballed

The "other reply" is very apt but guessing you don't have a clue who Casey Martin is, you learn something new every day you know, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    We had this discussion at our club last year, brought about by our local league being asked the question and that prompted us. Our decision was that people could use buggies if they wished. We did not request a medical certificate but we do not expect the people using them to do so just for laziness. We were happy to take the word of whoever wants one that they would struggle without. Not everyone who struggles to do 18 holes has a medical problem. They could just have a dodgy knee, be old etc. We want them to play comps still. If we saw a fit and healthy 20yr old lad using one then I would expect them to be taken to one side and advised that it was not acceptable.
    No idea what my club's policy, but this is what I would agree with.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

At my previous club there were no restrictions on buggies, and to be honest it never crossed my mind whether it would be a problem in qualifiers. Personally, I tend to play better when walking as it gives you more time to think.

My current club doesn't have buggies, so no problems there.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

At ours and Nairn Dunbar you have to have a medical exemption.

Only reason i know is someone i play with has just had to get one to play in comps and he's a member at both clubs and had to get one for both.

Quote Originally Posted by woofers View Post
    Tyrion, thanks for your reasoned reply, (unlike the other one).
    I hope it works for you, although your club has 'introduced' a grey area, something I think rules alleviate. Your fit and healthy 20 year old could say 'there's no rule against it' and although being unpopular, he could still play on? I totally agree that common sense should prevail, unfortunately the situation you describe actually occurred at one of my local clubs in the last monthly medal - category 1 players, aged under 25, using a buggy. Don't agree with it personally.
    The approach we took was to avoid setting down a fixed rule as that can then catch people they are not intended to. The simple answer is to say you must have a medical certificate. However, as I mentioned in my first post, that can still catch some golfers who would not qualify for a certificate but struggle with 18. There is another thread going on at the moment where a seniors open is stopping at 15 holes for those who want it as the next hole has a hill and that puts some off. Our method would allow for these golfers who may well not have a certificate but just find 18 a struggle when walking.

The moment the situation gets abused, as was the case at your place, we would have a word to say not again. If the person used the 'there is no rule against it' to intimate they would do it again then we would bring one in next meeting. We would do our damnedest to word it to be as inclusive as possible but stop the people abusing the situation.

We have left it down to the conscience of each golfer, hoping for the best, but would quickly stop it if required. There may be advice from the R & A on how to do that but at this stage we have not had to look at it. I would hope there is some clever wording out there that would help.

Is the person at your club likely to do it again? Were words said relating to him playing via a buggy or is it just general muttering?
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    The "other reply" is very apt but guessing you don't have a clue who Casey Martin is, you learn something new every day you know, you're welcome.
    You guess wrong then, I do know who Casey Martin is. I was hoping to glean some relevant information and informed opinions from club members, rather than some sarcastic, smart Alec response.