Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What lesson actually worked for you and your game?

With some of the current threads 'lesson' themed, I just wondered which, if any actually worked for you in the long term?

I've always been a very practical person and I've never really bought into buying new 'shiny shiny' in order to fix an issue with my golf as so many others (and the industry) seem to want us to do.
    I'd much rather spend the money on getting my problem fixed correctly, by a professional who knows what he or she is doing.

To that end, my chipping has been woeful for as long as I've ever played golf. The amount of times I've been next to the green and end up duffing a chip and taking four or sometimes five to get down from less than thirty feet is not only painful and damaging, but also embarrassing.
    So a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and had a lesson, with follow up lessons booked in for later. Wow, What a difference!
    Whilst I'm never going to be a Mickleson, I can honestly say the difference is massive. I actually feel reasonably confident around the green now, and am not afraid to go after the pin, whereas before anywhere on the green followed by two putts would be the best I could expect. I actually got complimented on my chipping on Sunday!

Just being shown what to do and how, followed by lots and lots of practising the correct technique have helped me loads and I expect a cut by the end of the season.

So, what lesson fixed what problem for you?

Tour Rookie

Re: What lesson actually worked for you and your game?

I've always struggled a bit with strike. A lesson about 18 months ago showed up just how far my head moved off the ball in my backswing. Stabilising that has improved things no end, from chipping up to woods.

The only lesson that I've paid for that made a difference is on how to hit wedges. The pro immediately saw that I was trying to flip the ball into the air off of the back foot and explained that I needed to put the weight on my left foot and hit down on the ball. My longer wedge shots improved significantly as a result. Only took five minutes to correct.

IMO a lesson that explains clearly how the wrists should work in the swing will make the biggest improvement to most players.
    Play it cool Trigger!

Money List Winner

Seven years ago I had a session with a particularly agressive Canadian pro in which we ended up shouting at each other - the crux of it from my side being that if he wanted me to do something differently he needed to use different words rather than repeating himself with an increased volume....
    5 years later I finally understood what he was getting at, and it's been at the core of my improvements (such as they are) ever since.
    The particular issue was staying connected, and I was simply pitching into a net about 60 yds - the problem was that I was doing it successfully but incorrectly!

I have always suffered with the J Arthurs, I switched Pro's last year and James the new pro broke my issues down into a simple to understand format which enabled me to 'feel' both the correct and incorrect swing. Whilst not cured I can at least now try and correct myself mid-game whereas previously it became a major issue for weeks.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Journeyman Pro

Putting and chipping. My putting was woeful and nowadays it isn't so woeful, the problem was I was totally offline so no wonder I wasn't making putts.

My short game is the best part of my game now, I get out of most bunkers in 1 and I'm confident from under 50 yards.
    TaylorMade M2 Driver
    TaylorMade M2 3 Wood
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Odyssey White Hot Putter

Handicap 26

Journeyman Pro

I am a pretty good chipper but on holiday in US I could not chip for toffee out of the Bermuda grass.
    So had a lesson of a young pro and what a revelation he was fantastic and he clearly demonstrated to me what to do
    More like a bunker shot.

I think a good lesson is to show you how , then explain the principals a good pro should be able to execute the shot.
    Last edited by clubchamp98; 06-Jun-2018 at 08:20.

Two standout ones. Firstly a lesson on driving. The pro got me taking the club away low and slow, left shoulder under the chin and then come back through

Secondly a general one which sorted out my alignment and got me hitting through the ball with a better connection rather than frequently thinning it or just picking it off the surface.

Both have made a huge difference in the consistency in my game.

I have never had a bad lesson. I've had ones that I have not been able to follow through and repeat but everyone at the time got me hitting like a dream.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

invested in a series of 6 lessons and a 9 hole playing lesson with our pro a while back and this made a huge difference to my game. He identified a number of things that needed to be worked on - but we handled these one thing at a time. The lessons were spread over about 5 to 6 months and focussed on gradual changes. I'd really recommend this approach.