Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Matchplay ruling

Played a matchplay today and it went to extra holes, on the green my ball was in line of my opponents putt so I moved my ball a putters width and placed a coin on replacing I used the putters width and placed the coin ,as I placed my ball to line up my putt my opponent said I replaced in the wrong spot and wondered if it was a penalty or even loss of hole, now I can see his point and if I did putt from there it could have possibly been in the wrong place but we discussed it and I placed my ball behind the coin asked him if he was ok with that and he was, I proceeded to hole my putt for what I thought was the win.

Now it's my understanding if it's agreed by the two players in matchplay to proceed like this it's ok, but after I holed for the win he said he was still not sure of the ruling .

So I suggested we play the second extra hole just to appease him and he can ask about the ruling after , I on the other hand was sure I won the match,I won the next hole with a parr and the match, when we were walking in he said that's the first match he's finished and not sure if he's won.

Re: Matchplay ruling

You hadn't played a shot with the ball in the "wrong"place. My reading of your post is that you repositioned the ball, asked your opponent if he was satisfied with the position, then played the shot.

Can't see what his issue was. Totally different if you had played from the wrong spot, but, the ball position was agreed and you holed the putt for a win.

Journeyman Pro

2-1/1

Players Unable to Resolve Rules Problem Agree to Consider Hole Halved

Q.In a match, A putted to within three inches of the hole and then knocked his ball away. B, the opponent, objected. He stated that he wanted A's ball left by the hole. A and B were uncertain how to resolve the matter, so they agreed to consider the hole halved. Should A and B be disqualified under Rule 1-3?

A.No. There was no agreement to waive the Rules. Rather, the players were ignorant of the Rules.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Journeyman Pro

and
    2-5/8.5

Player and Opponent Agree on Incorrect Procedure; Whether Valid Claim May Be Made After Procedure Followed

Q.In a match, a player's ball comes to rest on an artificially-surfaced road. He is uncertain if the road is to be treated as an immovable obstruction or an integral part of the course. He asks his opponent and they agree that the player should treat the road as an immovable obstruction. The player drops the ball in accordance with the procedure under Rule 24-2b and plays it. Prior to playing from the next tee, the opponent discovers that he and the player were wrong as the Committee had introduced a Local Rule declaring the road to be an integral part of the course and, therefore, the player was not entitled to take relief under Rule 24-2b. The player should have incurred a loss of hole penalty under Rule 18 for lifting his ball without authority and failing to replace it. May the opponent claim the hole?

A.No. The claim must not be considered by the Committee because the opponent and the player agreed that the player was entitled to relief under Rule 24-2b. When this agreement was reached, there was no longer a doubtful or disputed point and there was no basis under Rule 2-5 for making a claim.

The players were not in breach of Rule 1-3 as they believed at the time they were proceeding properly
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    2-1/1

Players Unable to Resolve Rules Problem Agree to Consider Hole Halved

Q.In a match, A putted to within three inches of the hole and then knocked his ball away. B, the opponent, objected. He stated that he wanted A's ball left by the hole. A and B were uncertain how to resolve the matter, so they agreed to consider the hole halved. Should A and B be disqualified under Rule 1-3?

A.No. There was no agreement to waive the Rules. Rather, the players were ignorant of the Rules.
    Thanks but that is a different to my match as I was quite sure of the ruling, just wanted clarification from the experts.

A and B must have been really ignorant of the rules

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    and
    2-5/8.5

Player and Opponent Agree on Incorrect Procedure; Whether Valid Claim May Be Made After Procedure Followed

Q.In a match, a player's ball comes to rest on an artificially-surfaced road. He is uncertain if the road is to be treated as an immovable obstruction or an integral part of the course. He asks his opponent and they agree that the player should treat the road as an immovable obstruction. The player drops the ball in accordance with the procedure under Rule 24-2b and plays it. Prior to playing from the next tee, the opponent discovers that he and the player were wrong as the Committee had introduced a Local Rule declaring the road to be an integral part of the course and, therefore, the player was not entitled to take relief under Rule 24-2b. The player should have incurred a loss of hole penalty under Rule 18 for lifting his ball without authority and failing to replace it. May the opponent claim the hole?

A.No. The claim must not be considered by the Committee because the opponent and the player agreed that the player was entitled to relief under Rule 24-2b. When this agreement was reached, there was no longer a doubtful or disputed point and there was no basis under Rule 2-5 for making a claim.

The players were not in breach of Rule 1-3 as they believed at the time they were proceeding properly
    Thanks again but as I say it wasn't a inncorrect procedure on my part.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    Played a matchplay today and it went to extra holes, on the green my ball was in line of my opponents putt so I moved my ball a putters width and placed a coin on replacing I used the putters width and placed the coin ,as I placed my ball to line up my putt my opponent said I replaced in the wrong spot and wondered if it was a penalty or even loss of hole, now I can see his point and if I did putt from there it could have possibly been in the wrong place
    Why did you think you may have replaced it on the wrong spot? I sounds as if you reversed the process.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Why did you think you may have replaced it on the wrong spot? I sounds as if you reversed the process.
    To be honest I'm not sure that I did but if I placed the coin down where the ball originally was then put the ball infront of the coin then that could possibly in the wrong spot.

Tour Winner

Well, right or wrong, 2-5/8.5 applies.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Well, right or wrong, 2-5/8.5 applies.
    Thanks