Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Complete Beginner

Take the group lessons. Have a pen and paper with you to take notes and ask if you dont understand, Good luck and enjoy.
    Play it cool Trigger!

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Not at all, I just constantly read folk on here telling others "get a lesson" all I'm saying is, it's not always the answer, it may well be for some, possibly most but not everyone.
    What a shame, Cabby, had you just had a couple of lessons you could be playing on the PGA tour now.

Ive had a few lessons that were a bit of a waste of time and money, either because the pro wasnt great at explaining the feel they wanted me to have, or because their style of tuition didnt suit me.

However, overall I think lessons have helped for me, but only when combined with a lot of practice and further reading / YouTubing to get more understanding of the issue the pro had identified (ie as many different explanations of the same thing to see which resonates with me).

For a beginner I would say having a couple of lessons focussed solely on the basics of grip, posture etc is always a good idea. Once those are dealt with, I think the next phase is to just hit a lot of balls and see what happens.
    Handicap: 12

I think having lessons once you have been playing for a while is a totally different arguement to having some group lessons as a totall beginner.
    Surely having some constructive instruction at the outset will result in someone having the right basics set within the mind, rather than trying to learn by yourself and probably getting the basics all wrong and more than likely lead to greater frustration and possible departure from the game.
    Very few of us are those annoying natural athletes that can do anything perfectly at the first go.
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    I think having lessons once you have been playing for a while is a totally different arguement to having some group lessons as a totall beginner.
    Surely having some constructive instruction at the outset will result in someone having the right basics set within the mind, rather than trying to learn by yourself and probably getting the basics all wrong and more than likely lead to greater frustration and possible departure from the game.
    Very few of us are those annoying natural athletes that can do anything perfectly at the first go.
    Yeah I think group lessons at the very beginner are ideal. That's what I did when I first started at the age of 14 or whatever it was. They just tell you how to stand, how to hold the bat and so on. Then you take that and go your own way with it for a bit before having a one-on-one lesson if you so choose to a little while later.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Thanks to everybody for all your input...Im all booked up for Thursday evening group sessions, so well see how it goes. As long as I get taught some basics to go away and practice, I think Ill be happy enough.

When you all first started out, did you mainly go to the range to practice, or go out on course and just go for it?

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    What a shame, Cabby, had you just had a couple of lessons you could be playing on the PGA tour now.

Ye, guess I shoulda stuck in there however, the way my game is at the moment it's the NBA I've more chance of playing in.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DanJen79 View Post
    Thanks to everybody for all your input...Im all booked up for Thursday evening group sessions, so well see how it goes. As long as I get taught some basics to go away and practice, I think Ill be happy enough.

When you all first started out, did you mainly go to the range to practice, or go out on course and just go for it?
    I think both has its place. I use the range to fix faults or groove a swing back in if it goes a little off. You have to be careful you have a plan at the range and take your time. Too often I see people there, including myself, just bashing balls one after the other without much thought. Avoid this!

The range gives you a flat and perfect lie every time. You rarely get this on the course, so practice on the course is important. This includes the difference of turf, and all types of lies - uphill/downhill/sideways etc. Also no rough on the range. Incorporate both into your game

Learn how to hold the club correctly,
    Learn how to stand correctly at the start of the swing
    Learn how to stand correctly at the end of the swing
    Keep your head still in the middle and you'll be fine
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Welcome to the forum.

Spending time on the practice range is great to work on improving your game, because you hit far more shots in a much shorter time period. The course is more fun though, and it's where you get to measure your progress. So have fun doing both !

My tip - spend a lot of your practice time improving your putting and short game. Don't think it's all about hitting long shots !

Good luck and enjoy the sport.
    Member at Leighton Buzzard GC and Burnham & Berrow GC. Handicap : 5

Assistant Pro

There was a good deal for just the par 3 course at the club nearest to me, which i used alot. And when the weather was bad i'd use the range... so i mostly used the range.

Started off using 100 balls a go at the range, after being on here a little swapped down to 25 or 50 and feel that i got more out of it.