Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Complete Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    When I first started to play golf the Pro sold all newcomers clubs A flex shafts, served me well. The X14s came with True Temper Dynamic Gold as standard. In modern terms this is quite a heavy shaft and requires good swing speed to get the most out of them. The stiffs in this shaft are meant for those with a swing speed (irons) of over 90 mph. Not something most beginners would have coupled with the necessary accuracy ability to hit the ball cleanly.
    That must have been quite a while ago! Shaft optimisation has moved on a long way since that time, even for such luddite Pros - though there is an argument that softer flex encourages a 'better', if slower, swing! Unfortunately, that 'slow' swing speed is very difficult to subsequently increase, except for VERY young players, so I'd recommend any 20-ish + newbie swings as hard as possible, while keeping balance! Control WILL come!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Thank you all for you welcoming and informative replies...Iíll let you all know how I get on with everything.

So it seems thereís mixed views on the group lesson, but Iím hoping it will at least give me a taste of what Iím letting myself in for and who knows, I may find a playing partner in the process. I do think I would follow it up with some one-to-ones afterwards though if I do feel its for me. Iím ridiculously excited to get going!

Regarding the clubs, theyíre not the X-14 pro (at least it doesnít say it anywhere on the clubs) and the shafts on the Callaways are the original graphite regular flex ones...the same type (but rifle ones) are on the Nicklaus ones. I have noticed that the Nicklaus clubs seem lighter...does this effect anything in any way for a beginner? It sounds like the general consensus though would be to give the Callaways a go for a while to start with.

Welcome along. I would definitely plump for the Callaway over the Nicklaus. As a kid many, many moons ago I started by going to group lessons for an hour per day for a week of the summer holidays. It was an adequate introduction and we got an over view of the basics, hit some balls and then the pro would come and tweak each players swing from there. As a starting point, I think group lessons are ok. If you get the bug and want to get more proficient, then you can look at individual lessons and upgrading the grips on the Callaway's. Enjoy and stick around and ask as many questions as you like

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    When I first started to play golf the Pro sold all newcomers clubs A flex shafts, served me well. The X14s came with True Temper Dynamic Gold as standard. In modern terms this is quite a heavy shaft and requires good swing speed to get the most out of them. The stiffs in this shaft are meant for those with a swing speed (irons) of over 90 mph. Not something most beginners would have coupled with the necessary accuracy ability to hit the ball cleanly.
    Fair enough but you are telling someone to get a particular type of shaft over another despite the fact (I presume) you have never seen him swing a club, just just seems crazy advice to me.

Is there any particular articles anybody would advise reading, videos to watch, or any general advice anybody would give before I start any type of lesson? Thereís so much information on the internet itís so difficult to know where to start.

Blackballed

Be careful of advice, opinions are a different thing, I'd be particularly careful of taking certain advice on here, your problem will be you won't know what is good advice and what is rubbish.

If you are going for lessons then stick to the advice you get from the pro. Make sure you ask them what you need to practice between lessons and stay with that for now.
    Handicap 14.6 I don't believe it !
    In the bag

Driver Ping Rapture 12 deg
    3 wood Ping G25
    5 wood Ping G25
    GW-5i AP2s 710
    Hybrids RBZ -25
    Putter Rife two bar hybrid
    Club www.hazelgrovegolfclub.com

I think youíre probably right...best not to confuse myself with lots of conflicting advice from lots of different sources. A lesson...practice....another lesson...practice. Iím looking forward to the Summer this year...Iíve got six weeks off, so plenty of free time to get all the practice in!

I would also go for the Callaways, not because I like Callaway but because they were a forgiving iron that will help with your enjoyment but also because they will be easier to sell on if and when you decide to change irons.
    As for the group lessons, go for it and enjoy. Just listen to the pro and go with what he says.
    Enjoy it, and have fun.
    Forever trying.

Blackballed

Lessons are not the be all in golf, I've never had a lesson in my life, seem to manage.