Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Complete Beginner

Hi everyone,

Ive decided Im finally going to actually attempt to play golf and was just after a bit of advice really.

I managed to come across 2 old sets of irons that I got for 15 and wondered if you think either would be suitable for a total beginner. One is an old set of Callaway X-14s and the other is a set of Nicklaus Polarity MTRs. The Nicklaus ones seem to be in pretty good condition, but the Callaway ones I think would need to be regripped at some point if anyone thinks they would be worth using...or are they too old? Im not keen on spending too much at the moment, as if it turns out I cant get the hang of it, then it would seem a bit of a waste of money.

The other thing was, Ive provisionally booked myself into a group beginner lesson (4 lessons over 4 weeks for 40). Do you think that is a good way to go, or would one-to-ones be more sensible? I just thought the group one may give me the opportunity to meet like-minded folk just starting out too.

Any general beginners advice would be appreciated too of course.

Thanks,

Dan.

Club Champion

Re: Complete Beginner

Firstly, welcome to the forum! I have no idea about those clubs so can't really comment. With regard to the lessons, I would personally say that you would be better off spending 40-50 on 2 one-to-one lessons with a local professional. I've been at the range before whilst these group lessons take place and from what I could say, there's no real coaching. i.e. the pro will demonstrate something, then everyone else will try to do it at the same time whilst the pro just walk around and observes. Obviously thats just my opinion, and maybe someone else on here has a different experience of group lessons?

Good luck with the golf, and let us know how it goes.

Old they may be, but I think the X-14s will be absolutely fine as beginner irons. From what I can tell they were very forgiving game improver irons and that's what you want. As you rightly say, no point splashing out on new clubs then later deciding it's not the game for you. They will be fine.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Journeyman Pro

The x14s were a great club, much better than the Nicklaus ones I'd suggest, get them regripped and you've got a good set.

I'm pretty new to the forum as well. But I've recently just gone through a Get into Golf program that my local club ran. It started with a block of 4 lessons group lessons over 4 weeks, but the group size was limited to 4-5 people. It worked quite well, although I had previous playing experience it was a pretty good taster session into where I was going wrong.
    Following on from the group lessons we then got a discount on 6 hours of lessons (essentially a 2 for 1 deal) and range membership.

From conversations with other people it seems that one of the stumbling blocks to getting into golf can often be the lack of playing partner. So being part of a group might be a way to get to know other people in exactly the same boat as you. Which will be useful if at least one other person is going to move forward in taking up the game in more depth as they could become a playing partner so you aren't in a position of being a lone player/new member.

Journeyman Pro

The X14s should be fine provided they are not X14 pros and the shafts are regular and not stiff (I cannot remember for sure but around that time Callaway offered uniflex shafts as well).

At the end of the day find out how much to regrip and decide if it is better to buy the set which do not need regripping purely on value. Nicklaus tend to be well designed just do not have the kudos compared to Callaway.

Group lessons are fine to start with.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    the shafts are regular and not stiff
    Explain such logic for me please ?

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Explain such logic for me please ?
    When I first started to play golf the Pro sold all newcomers clubs A flex shafts, served me well. The X14s came with True Temper Dynamic Gold as standard. In modern terms this is quite a heavy shaft and requires good swing speed to get the most out of them. The stiffs in this shaft are meant for those with a swing speed (irons) of over 90 mph. Not something most beginners would have coupled with the necessary accuracy ability to hit the ball cleanly.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Either set would seem appropriate.

The X14s are better known in UK, but the Nicklaus ones are certainly aimed at the same market - and have very good reviews!

In the 'Welcome to the Forum' spirit, I have an unused set of grips that i'm happy to send to you if you want them! They've been parked in my 'waiting to be installed' cupboard for quite a while now! Not sure whether that wait has meant they are no longer any good, but you are certainly welcome to them if you want! PM me if you want them.

Group lessons are fine for dipping your toes into the game without spending a great deal, but I believe a (subsequent) dedicated session is far better value overall. and Pros often do deals for a series of lessons, which I believe is the 'best' value, too. Just remember that you are the 'Driver' of the process! It seems to me that many Pros are a bit too much 'salesman' oriented, too much 'sales/profit orientated' as opposed to a 'customer development' one! In other words, don't be afraid to be pretty demanding about what you expect (a development plan provided by the Pro would be a great tool), but be prepared to put considerable work in to practice what the lessons show! Golf is a rather demanding 'skill'!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 04-Jun-2018 at 17:55.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Head Pro

Welcome to the mad world of golf, I just really took it up last year and one on one lessons were worth the money, group lessons were quite poor as a beginner you wiill need more attention on your swing ect, as for the cally irons they are fine regrip if needed and swing away, you will replace then soon don't worry about that, and enjoy yourself don't take it to serious and have fun, lot of good advice here and elsewhere
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7