Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Hybrids are meant to be easier aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck View Post
    I'm the opposite, I have a Callaway XR Series 3 Hybrid and love it, I often hit my 2nd/3rd shots with it further than my driver. I also use it off the tee on long par 3's where I can't reach with an iron. The face is starting to get a little battered and I will be sad when it's gone!

I've tried 3 and 5 woods but can't get on with them at all. It's got a stiff shaft which normally I would not spec (regular or light is normally what I go for), I suspect the stiffness helps with consistency.
    Hmm, it might be worth me trying a stiff shaft one. I've never really considered that, since I've only ever had regular shafted clubs. Although new club syndrome seems to make anything work on the range when you first try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    This was me until halfway through last year. Not enough club head speed, or ability, to hit a 4 or 5 iron, hybrids were hitting the ball all over the place. On a good day it was wonderful but there were precious few good days. This left a 7 iron as my longest, reliable club, yikes! I went to a pro and asked for a lesson specifically on hitting these devilish little clubs that everyone kept telling me was a cheats club, they were that simple . The lesson went well and I have slowly become pretty reliable with it. I don't hit them miles but I have a 23° Ping G25 that I can repeatedly hit straight for 165-175 yds. That will do for me.

The key things for me, doesn't mean they will work for you of course but our h/c are similar:

Swing slowly, I mean really slowly. The reality is it is not that slow, it just feels it and means your arms and body work together. The temptation is to lash the little blighter, you have to fight that.

Take a 3/4 swing. It is enough and gives you more control, keeps the tempo slow as well.

Check your alignment. My chest was open so now I pull back my right shoulder. It feels very odd and I have to force it but it has straightened me up enormously.

I concentrate my left eye, dominant eye for me, on the back of the ball. Not the middle or the whole ball, specifically the back of the ball. This has improved my ball striking immeasurably as instead of thinning the ball, basically picking it up off the grass, I am now hitting through it.

I would never call a hybrid an easy club, I always have to think and work at it but by following the above I suddenly have a repeatable 2nd shot for long par 4's and par 5's that I never had before. For shorter hitters or those with slow club head speed they are worth trying to work out.

Clearly, some of the above points are specific to me but I think the points about slow swing speed and 3/4 length swing would apply to anyone who is struggling with these clubs.
    Interesting thoughts. I have noticed it working better when I swing slower, but the fact that it's lighter than a long iron seems to make it difficult to keep it slow. Sometimes it almost seems to whip through uncontrollably! In fairness I already have a short backswing on every shot, I've been doing that for a while and it's improved consistency with most clubs. The other stuff you've said I'll have to think about next time I'm out there, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Buying and selling hybrids in the hope one will fit a flawed technique will never work.
    Practicing with no specific goals in the hope it comes good eventually will probably never work.

To hit any club well you need good technique.
    That requires good, structured and informed practice.
    Have a lesson with the clubs you have and practice what you are taught. Then as your technique improves you'll be able to hit anything.

Your swing isn't that far off from being pretty good, it just needs tweaking here and there.
    Agree that I don't want to keep selling and buying new ones. That's a trial-and-error process that could go on indefinitely. I have always been a bit resistent to lessons for multiple reasons, but I can see I'm going down a dark alley here without them now. Most other aspects of my game I've been to improve just through regular play, but not this. Maybe time to bite the bullet and go for it.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    The answer to that is super obvious, have a lesson on the course.

When I was a member of a club I would never dream of booking a block of lessons without a playing lesson at the end. It’s essential to make the most of all that came before it.
    That's fair, but in this situation, a hybrid isn't something I regularly need to use on the course. On a typical 18 holes there might only be 3 times I need to use the hybrid. This relative lack of use is probably another thing holding me back with it - a club you use often would obviously improve faster you would think.

try different ball positions mixed with how you actually attack the ball. either sweeping or slightly down.

As someone who always loved long irons, I was in a similar position re never hitting hybrids well. After a few different ones, and shafts I have gone to the Ping Crossover and banished the hybrids to the "need to sell really" bag. I dont care what anyone says about the club, it works well for me
    Forever trying.

They might well be easier to hit than the equivalent distance iron but the player still has to do the job (I realise that sounds bloomin obvious) but I wonder if there’s a subconscious expectation, at least in part, that because they are easy to hit that the club somehow has a ‘automatic’ flip switch and all you need to do is address the ball and swing

All the usual parameters and dynamics are still in play as they are for any club in order to get a decent hit on it

i.e the putter is the easiest club to hit in the whole bag but we’re not all great putters
    A driver is also a very easy club to hit (let’s face it the head is massive you can’t really miss!) but perhaps it’s the hardest club to hit well

Hybrids are easy to hit compared to the iron its replacing, but you still gotta do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    That's fair, but in this situation, a hybrid isn't something I regularly need to use on the course. On a typical 18 holes there might only be 3 times I need to use the hybrid. This relative lack of use is probably another thing holding me back with it - a club you use often would obviously improve faster you would think.
    I'm on a long course now. I either had to develop hitting hybrids or move clubs! I use a hybrid, I have a 23° and 26° one, on 17 of our 18 holes. That tends to focus your mind and make you very determined to learn. Learn or bust basically.

On the swing speed point, they are so light in your hands that the urge to swing fast is overwhelming. It is a constant fight for me but swinging slower has really helped. Part of that is also accepting the distance I can hit with the club. My son hits the same club 200-220yds but I have come to terms with a shorter distance in order to be consistent and straight. The compromise is worth it to me.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Practice Practice Practice and wear a red shirt as the shirt will help you get good clean strikes at the ball any other colours just don’t do it
    Mizuno MP 18's muscleback TM M4 DriverTM M2 3 Wood Glenearn Golf Club

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Maybe time to bite the bullet and go for it.
    It's not like going to the dentist, it won't hurt.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I'm on a long course now. I either had to develop hitting hybrids or move clubs! I use a hybrid, I have a 23° and 26° one, on 17 of our 18 holes. That tends to focus your mind and make you very determined to learn. Learn or bust basically.

On the swing speed point, they are so light in your hands that the urge to swing fast is overwhelming. It is a constant fight for me but swinging slower has really helped. Part of that is also accepting the distance I can hit with the club. My son hits the same club 200-220yds but I have come to terms with a shorter distance in order to be consistent and straight. The compromise is worth it to me.
    You know that hybrids come in all shapes and sizes. they are certainly not all 'so light'.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

Money List Winner

Bob mac and Beezerk make excellent points, ironically a point which LT explains so well.
    if a high handicapper can hit a ball to a well guarded green from 200 yds. He ain't a high handicapper. Laying up and chipping on is the easier option.
    As Bob Mac says. It ain't th club, it's the flawed swing, as LT noticed when he went for his lesson which fixed his problem when using a hybrid. A problem which may be differant to yours.
    Me I always seem to hit it better when it is in the first cut sat up a little bit.