Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrids are meant to be easier aren't they?

The general school of thought seems to be that higher handicappers can benefit from having a hybrid as they are easier to hit than long irons. So I first got one in March last year, it was an Adams blue hybrid. I struggled with it though, the shaft was incredibly light at 55 grams and I thought that may have been the issue as it felt very whippy and the strike varied wildly. Eventually after a year of trying to make that work I sold it and got a Benross hybrid with a 70 gram shaft instead. Initially this was much better, hit it beautifully when I tried it out which caused me to purchase it, and the first couple of rounds it was good. However it's now reverting back to type and I'm very inconsistent with it again.

So the alternative is a 4 iron perhaps, but long irons were never my forté at all. Since I got my current irons at the start of this year, my 5 iron consistency has improved tenfold, although with not the quickest swing speed, I'm not sure a 4 iron would go any further for me than the 5 iron does.

I have a 5 wood (which is more like 4 wood loft I would say) in the bag, but while it's ok off the tee it's also very hit and miss off the ground. Probably more miss than hit.

Is there another option? I've seen the Ping crossovers, they're a bit pricey, but that's probably the only other option out there that might be worth trying. Failing that, I either keep practising the current hybrid and hope it comes good eventually, or keep selling and buying different hybrids until I land on one that works!? Either way it needs sorting but I'm at a loss at this point.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Re: Hybrids are meant to be easier aren't they?

I don't like them. I'm currently lugging an Adams one around with me, but I am very loathe to get it out of the bag. It seems to require a different swing to make it work correctly.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

Hit it like your trying to fade a 4 iron.

I have always been told that they are easier to hit than irons.
    Personally, i cant hit them at all and have stuck with long irons.

Rather than buying and selling different hybrids if i were you i'd get properly fitted and practice with the one you get until you master it
    Tom Wishon 13deg 919 Wishon S2S White Titleist AP1 716 4 - pw Shimada Constant Callaway Mack Daddy 50 / 54 NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 Ping Glide 60 NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 John Letters Golden Goose 002

Assistant Pro

I'm the opposite, I have a Callaway XR Series 3 Hybrid and love it, I often hit my 2nd/3rd shots with it further than my driver. I also use it off the tee on long par 3's where I can't reach with an iron. The face is starting to get a little battered and I will be sad when it's gone!

I've tried 3 and 5 woods but can't get on with them at all. It's got a stiff shaft which normally I would not spec (regular or light is normally what I go for), I suspect the stiffness helps with consistency.

A) stick with the hybrid
    B) forget about going for greens from 200 yards out and focus on keeping it in play with a shorter 2nd shot 😉

This was me until halfway through last year. Not enough club head speed, or ability, to hit a 4 or 5 iron, hybrids were hitting the ball all over the place. On a good day it was wonderful but there were precious few good days. This left a 7 iron as my longest, reliable club, yikes! I went to a pro and asked for a lesson specifically on hitting these devilish little clubs that everyone kept telling me was a cheats club, they were that simple . The lesson went well and I have slowly become pretty reliable with it. I don't hit them miles but I have a 23° Ping G25 that I can repeatedly hit straight for 165-175 yds. That will do for me.

The key things for me, doesn't mean they will work for you of course but our h/c are similar:

Swing slowly, I mean really slowly. The reality is it is not that slow, it just feels it and means your arms and body work together. The temptation is to lash the little blighter, you have to fight that.

Take a 3/4 swing. It is enough and gives you more control, keeps the tempo slow as well.

Check your alignment. My chest was open so now I pull back my right shoulder. It feels very odd and I have to force it but it has straightened me up enormously.

I concentrate my left eye, dominant eye for me, on the back of the ball. Not the middle or the whole ball, specifically the back of the ball. This has improved my ball striking immeasurably as instead of thinning the ball, basically picking it up off the grass, I am now hitting through it.

I would never call a hybrid an easy club, I always have to think and work at it but by following the above I suddenly have a repeatable 2nd shot for long par 4's and par 5's that I never had before. For shorter hitters or those with slow club head speed they are worth trying to work out.

Clearly, some of the above points are specific to me but I think the points about slow swing speed and 3/4 length swing would apply to anyone who is struggling with these clubs.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Buying and selling hybrids in the hope one will fit a flawed technique will never work.
    Practicing with no specific goals in the hope it comes good eventually will probably never work.

To hit any club well you need good technique.
    That requires good, structured and informed practice.
    Have a lesson with the clubs you have and practice what you are taught. Then as your technique improves you'll be able to hit anything.

Your swing isn't that far off from being pretty good, it just needs tweaking here and there.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    The general school of thought seems to be that higher handicappers can benefit from having a hybrid as they are easier to hit than long irons. So I first got one in March last year, it was an Adams blue hybrid. I struggled with it though, the shaft was incredibly light at 55 grams and I thought that may have been the issue as it felt very whippy and the strike varied wildly. Eventually after a year of trying to make that work I sold it and got a Benross hybrid with a 70 gram shaft instead. Initially this was much better, hit it beautifully when I tried it out which caused me to purchase it, and the first couple of rounds it was good. However it's now reverting back to type and I'm very inconsistent with it again.

So the alternative is a 4 iron perhaps, but long irons were never my forté at all. Since I got my current irons at the start of this year, my 5 iron consistency has improved tenfold, although with not the quickest swing speed, I'm not sure a 4 iron would go any further for me than the 5 iron does.

I have a 5 wood (which is more like 4 wood loft I would say) in the bag, but while it's ok off the tee it's also very hit and miss off the ground. Probably more miss than hit.

Is there another option? I've seen the Ping crossovers, they're a bit pricey, but that's probably the only other option out there that might be worth trying. Failing that, I either keep practising the current hybrid and hope it comes good eventually, or keep selling and buying different hybrids until I land on one that works!? Either way it needs sorting but I'm at a loss at this point.
    Am in a similar boat. I always got on well with hybrids, and like them a lot. I currently have an M4 4H, which was flying a country mile when I bought it. I absolutely loved it at first, then had a few swing issues and couldn't hit it for toffee. Scratched the hell out of it with duff shots, and now can't face using it. Take it to the range occasionally, but just don't feel comfortable teeing it up. As I still hit my irons fairly well, I'm on the look out for a Callaway Apex 4 UT in the hope that this replaces the M4.

I know it's all in the head, I can obviously go the lesson route, but every time I go for a lesson, I tell my pro what's wrong, he says hit a few shots, and it all seems instantly good, until I get back on the course.....

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    tell my pro what's wrong, he says hit a few shots, and it all seems instantly good, until I get back on the course.....
    The answer to that is super obvious, have a lesson on the course.

When I was a member of a club I would never dream of booking a block of lessons without a playing lesson at the end. It’s essential to make the most of all that came before it.