Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: So you have been Custom Fitted. What next?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post

Can he give a limit, say £500, and ask whether they would fit him for last years irons that have depreciated to that level, or are you always tied to getting the latest models?
    Any club pro is going to be able to fit you for a set. One option would be to pick up a deal on last years set from the internet then go to a pro and he will fit them for you. Only thing is you will have to pay per club to get the lie angle changed and if you need the length changing your going to have to pay for new grips as he will have to remove them, if he can't get them off without damaging them.

Getting them from the manufacturer fitted for free will require you buying the latest models.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Mizuno are currently offering any shaft and any grip at no additional charge.

For my irons fitting I went to an independent fitter who had most makes. I ended up with some Pings for exactly the same price for an off the peg set from AG. I had nonstandard shafts and grips done all in the price and the fitting was free, plus he also regripped my woods/ hybrids with the same grips for £5 each.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Any club pro is going to be able to fit you for a set.
    Couldn’t disagree more. Any pro can sell you a set, a few can actually do a good fitting.

As an example, even Titleist fitting centre uses the lie board for measuring lie angles which is far from ideal to say the least. Most pros wouldn’t go beyond static fit by Ping chart that would be promptly displayed in the fitting area

Club Champion

When i got new irons i just poped in my local AG to have a quick try on several makes and ended up being there for 3 hours , a really good expierience with absolutely no pressure from the lad who saw to me, in fact i ended up getting G30's when i looked at the G400 line, the lad suggested the difference in them was minimal and suggested the older irons so i kept the few hundred quid in my pocket ! I know AG get a mixed press on here but i could not fault them on this occasion

Firstly has your lad stopped growing ??

As others have said there is no need to pay any more for a custom fitted set than a standard set unless he has some exotic requirements.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldArmChewer View Post
    Firstly has your lad stopped growing ??

As others have said there is no need to pay any more for a custom fitted set than a standard set unless he has some exotic requirements.
    He seems to have done. My genes are holding him back a little unfortunately for him, ha ha.

Part of it is the buzz of going for a fitting, the fun of it. The fitting at a really nice club by us, proper gear, sexy fitting room, all the shafts, heads etc is £25 for a 45 minute iron fitting. It is worth it as an end of exams treat alone. We talked last night and he is going to do that whatever. Whether he then goes ahead and buys is dependent on pricing but at least we are now a little wiser, we know what to expect.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Q-School Graduate

American Golf do 0% finance if that helps. Pay it off over a few months. Help him get what he really wants then, if the fitting throws up some of the more expensive brands.
    In the bag...

Ping G Driver 12 degree
    Ping G 3 wood
    Ping G 3 and 4 hybrids
    Ping G series irons 5-9
    Ping G series wedges 50 and 60 degree
    Ping Anser putter

Handicap: 23, 23.1, 23.2, 22.1, 19.3, 19.4, 19.5, 19.6, 19.7, 19.8,19.9, 20

Handicap challenge:

Vs Phil
    Vs Khamilion

Halesowen golf club
    West Midlands

Tour Rookie

If you buy irons from clubhouse (for example), they have a custom fit option on most current irons which allows you to specify length, lie, grip size etc. Only charges extra if the start model is an upgrade.

Alternatively, most decent club pros would be able to take a regular spec iron of the correct flex and make the appropriate length, lie, grip changes. That way you could buy newish second hand or discontinued new models at a significant discount to current and still get the correct fitting. Shouldn't cost too much (£50 a set max I'd've thought).

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    He seems to have done. My genes are holding him back a little unfortunately for him, ha ha.

Part of it is the buzz of going for a fitting, the fun of it. The fitting at a really nice club by us, proper gear, sexy fitting room, all the shafts, heads etc is £25 for a 45 minute iron fitting. It is worth it as an end of exams treat alone. We talked last night and he is going to do that whatever. Whether he then goes ahead and buys is dependent on pricing but at least we are now a little wiser, we know what to expect.
    It's a little cheeky but I'm sure you give them plenty of custom anyway, but if you go this route it may be worth having a nose at American Golf first and even use their bay. Get an idea of the makes/models that may suit including price point as you can then give an early guide rather than trying models that won't work in the 45 mins. I'm guessing that may be quite tight on time so may allow the focus to be more on fitting the iron rather than just deciding what brand may work.

Just a thought, not sure if others agree whether that would help or not?