Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Money List Winner

Re: Bridge over ditch

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    I've never seen a ball finish overhanging the edge of the cut channel... in winter when the grass grows a bit longer I guess it is more likely but like I say... I've never seen it. However there are numerous occasions where a ball comes to rest on either bank and the general discussion is whether the ball is within the hazard and whether a player may ground his club or not.

I'm wondering if we should be specifically rewording the local rule on the card to clarify that the hazard is defined by where it naturally breaks.
    I don't think you need to reworked the LR, it's clear and in line with the rules.

It may help to post a reminder on you LR board that yellow topped stakes are simply indicating the presence of a water hazard, whilst yellow stakes would indicate the margin of a hazard (in the absence of any yellow lines!)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    I don't think you need to reworked the LR, it's clear and in line with the rules.

It may help to post a reminder on you LR board that yellow topped stakes are simply indicating the presence of a water hazard, whilst yellow stakes would indicate the margin of a hazard (in the absence of any yellow lines!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    The local rule states that the stakes identify the water hazard. That is, they tell players that there is a water hazard there: they do not define it. The stakes in this instance are black with a yellow top whereas stakes defining a water hazard must be yellow - perhaps a deliberate indication that they are identifying not defining (perhaps accidental!).
    Well you learn something new every day!!! I'd never even thought about the possible difference between fully yellow stakes and yellow topped black stakes....I'm going to have to have a closer look at all of our stakes next time I'm at the course as I'm now trying to remember if we have any purely yellow or red stakes anywhere!!

That distinction should be enough to help clarify matters!!! Many thanks fellas.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by nickjdavis View Post
    Well you learn something new every day!!! I'd never even thought about the possible difference between fully yellow stakes and yellow topped black stakes....I'm going to have to have a closer look at all of our stakes next time I'm at the course as I'm now trying to remember if we have any purely yellow or red stakes anywhere!!

That distinction should be enough to help clarify matters!!! Many thanks fellas.
    I'm only guessing that the stakes are coloured as they are. What is clear, however, is the the LR says that they identify the hazard. It would be interesting to know if that is indeed why the stakes are black and yellow.

I'm only guessing that the stakes are coloured as they are. What is clear, however, is the the LR says that they identify the hazard. It would be interesting to know if that is indeed why the stakes are black and yellow.
    and the answer to that will be lost in the depths of time as I've been a member for 17 years now and the stakes are as they've always been....I guess when he created the "new" hazard in question a couple of years ago the greenkeeper looked in the corner of his shed, dug out his stock of yellow capped black posts and thought....they'll do.
    Callway Epic 10.5, Ping Rapture 13*, Ping G400 14.5*, Ping G400 19* & 22* hybrids, Callaway Apex CF16 6i-AW, Callaway MD4 54* & 58* wedges, Bettinardi SS28, Chrome Soft

Basically, is Jack Nicklaus in the hazard?

Tour Winner

Yes

Tour Winner

The yellow stakes as stated in the Local Rules only identify the water hazard; they do not define it. The natural margin is the drop from the cut edge into the channel and that is what defines the water hazard. In effect, it looks as if your ball would be usually be in the water hazard only if it fell into the ditch, but it might be possible for a ball to be overhanging the edge in which case it would be in the hazard.
    Given that stakes alone (ie without a line as well) normally define the margin of a water hazard, is the local rule (at least as quoted by nickjd) sufficient to clarify to a golfer that the margins of all the hazards on the course are not defined by stakes - ie merely that stakes indicate the presence of a hazard but don't define it? I'd suggest it leaves too much ambiguity. And further suggest that the purpose of the wording as quoted is indeed to just clarify to the players which are water hazards and which are lateral water hazards.

However, l do accept that the stakes in the photo are not "yellow stakes" - they are black with a yelow top. So presumably they don't define the hazard (in which case, at the very least the card should advise the golfer what their purpose is - its not fair to leave the player to guess)
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Jul)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Given that stakes alone (ie without a line as well) normally define the margin of a water hazard, is the local rule (at least as quoted by nickjd) sufficient to clarify to a golfer that the margins of all the hazards on the course are not defined by stakes - ie merely that stakes indicate the presence of a hazard but don't define it?
    Yes, it is. The LR clearly states that the stakes identify the water hazard. That's the key word which means they indicate the presence of the water hazard but do not define its margin.

i came across this most recently on Western Gailes in Ayrshire (a superb links course) where the LR tells you that yellow stakes identify water hazards and the margins are defined as the edge of the wooden wall lining the ditches. The exact wording {which I don't have to hand} was clearer but the OP's Local Rule tells you the same.

Western Gailes WH marking.jpg
    Last edited by Colin L; 10-Jun-2018 at 04:47.

Tour Winner

Yes, it is. The LR clearly states that the stakes identify the water hazard. That's the key word which means they indicate the presence of the water hazard but do not define its margin.

i came across this most recently on Western Gailes in Ayrshire (a superb links course) where the LR tells you that yellow stakes identify water hazards and the margins are defined as the edge of the wooden wall lining the ditches. The exact wording {which I don't have to hand} was clearer but the OP's Local Rule tells you the same.

Western Gailes WH marking.jpg
    Which i think proves my point - at Westetn Gailes, you say the wording was clearer ...
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Jul)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Which i think proves my point - at Westetn Gailes, you say the wording was clearer ...
    I wouldn't want you to use what I said to prove your point. Both the OP's club and Western Gailes were clear in saying that the stakes identified the water hazard. The Western Gailes LR was only clearer in that it went on to define the margins quite precisely.