Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tour Winner

Re: Bunker rule confusion

A slight deviation, but on a similar theme...

We have a greenside bunker that has been renovated. The whole bunker is marked as GUR - the line is marked about 18 inches outside the margin of the bunker. Relief from the renovated bunker - ie the GUR - is compulsory. A players ball lay in the sand inside the GUR.

Overheard at the weekend was a player telling his FC "yes, you get a drop, but you have to keep the bunker between you & the flag ...".

Am l correct in thinking that because the whole bunker was GUR means that just because it looked like a bunker was irrelevant. The ball was merely in GUR and not in a hazard, and the relief should have been taken using the NPoR - which in this case would have been to the side of the marked area and not behind the "bunker"?
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Jul)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Challenge Tour Pro

You are correct. (Formerly, the committee had to designate the bunker as TTG, thus removing "bunker status", but that was dropped a few years ago and bunker status automatically is changed with GUR status) It's like the bunker just isn't there.

25/13

Bunker Totally Under Repair

If a bunker is being renovated and the Committee defines the entire bunker as ground under repair, the bunker loses its status as a hazard and is automatically classified as "through the green."
    Last edited by atticusfinch; 31-May-2018 at 04:28.

Tour Winner

Ta for confirming (Somehow didn't spot the decision you quoted).
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (12 Jul)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Relief from an abnormal ground condition [AGC] comes without penalty. It is relief from a condition that you should not reasonably be expected to play from. You are expected to make a stroke to get out of a bunker and so you either get free relief from the AGC by playing from a place not affected by it or, you can drop your ball outside the bunker but with a 1 stroke penalty to compensate for the fact you haven't had to make a stroke to get out of it.

When you decide your ball is unplayable, it costs you 1 stroke to take relief. If you are in a bunker it costs you 1 stroke to get to play from a better place in the bunker. If you want to play from outside the bunker you again have to compensate for not having had to play from the bunker. The Rule at the moment compensates for that by making stroke and distance your only option. (That will change in 2019.)
    Sorry for not fully understanding your explanation, your last paragraph states 1 stroke penalty for dropping in a better place in a bunker then goes on to say
    you can take the stroke and distance option ,which from my understanding you could just play from behind the bunker.

So why would you take the option of dropping in the bunker when playing the much easier shot from just behind the bunker?

Tour Winner

I think you may be getting mixed up with the option for relief from an abnormal ground condition in a bunker which is to drop on a line from the hole through where the ball lay as far back as you like. The option of stroke and distance means playing from where you last played, which is not "just behind" the bunker unless you happened to have duffed one into it from a close distance, or indeed as I have done, putted into a bunker! More often than not, you would be playing from far enough away for stroke and distance effectively to be a 2 stroke penalty.
    Last edited by Colin L; 31-May-2018 at 22:41.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    I think you may be getting mixed up with the option for relief from an abnormal ground condition in a bunker which is to drop on a line from the hole through where the ball lay as far back as you like. The option of stroke and distance means playing from where you last played, which is not "just behind" the bunker unless you happened to have duffed one into it from a close distance, or indeed as I have done, putted into a bunker! More often than not, you would be playing from far enough away for stroke and distance effectively to be a 2 stroke penalty.

Ok thankyou Colin we got there at last

But I must say it took some time reading in the rule book to get a full understanding of the rule, for the layman I would suggest it's not easy to comprehend sometimes.

Funny you should mention putting into a bunker yesterday I duffed a chip through the green into a bunker and I told my fellow competitors that I was going to replay the shot and not play out of the bunker, they were astonished you could do this.

Tour Winner

How many penalty strokes did you record?

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    How many penalty strokes did you record?
    When I got to the bunker my ball was laying not to bad so I just played it out of the bunker, but if I would have replayed the shot I would have added 1 stroke penalty, sounds like your going to tell me it's a 2 stroke penalty

Tour Winner

I'm not