Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Bunker rule confusion

After having a look through the quick guide to the rules I am somewhat confused to the following.

Under Immovable Obstructions and Abnormal Ground Conditions Rule 24-2 and 25-1 it states a option when your ball is in a bunker, you may take relief from the condition by dropping the ball outside and behind the bunker under penalty of 1 stroke.

Then under Ball Unplayable rule 28 it states if your ball is in a bunker it must be dropped in the bunker with a 1 stroke penalty.

Now I understand these are two different rulings and I suspect the answer is to do with the wording of "the condition "but I'm struggling to understand the differance between the two.

Tour Winner

Re: Bunker rule confusion

Relief from an abnormal ground condition [AGC] comes without penalty. It is relief from a condition that you should not reasonably be expected to play from. You are expected to make a stroke to get out of a bunker and so you either get free relief from the AGC by playing from a place not affected by it or, you can drop your ball outside the bunker but with a 1 stroke penalty to compensate for the fact you haven't had to make a stroke to get out of it.

When you decide your ball is unplayable, it costs you 1 stroke to take relief. If you are in a bunker it costs you 1 stroke to get to play from a better place in the bunker. If you want to play from outside the bunker you again have to compensate for not having had to play from the bunker. The Rule at the moment compensates for that by making stroke and distance your only option. (That will change in 2019.)
    Last edited by Colin L; 30-May-2018 at 17:40.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    Relief from an abnormal ground condition [AGC] comes without penalty. It is relief from a condition that you should not reasonably be expected to play from. You are expected to make a stroke to get out of a bunker and so you either get free relief from the AGC by playing from a place not affected by it or, you can drop your ball outside the bunker but with a 1 stroke penalty to compensate for the fact you haven't had to make a stroke to get out of it.

When you decide your ball is unplayable, it costs you 1 stroke to take relief. If you are in a bunker it costs you 1 stroke to get to play from a better place in the bunker. If you want to play from outside the bunker you again have to compensate for not having had to play from the bunker. The Rule at the moment compensates for that by making stroke and distance your only option. (That will change in 2019.)
    w

Thanks for the reply, I fully understand the unplayable rule, but still not really understanding the first paragraph,what circumstances could you get free relief from AGC in a bunker? and how could you play from a area not affected by it?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    w

Thanks for the reply, I fully understand the unplayable rule, but still not really understanding the first paragraph,what circumstances could you get free relief from AGC in a bunker? and how could you play from a area not affected by it?
    There might, for example, be a puddle (i.e casual water) or damaged area marked as GUR in the bunker. If it interferes with your lie or your stance you could drop without penalty in another part of the bunker where you were clear of that interference.

Challenge Tour Pro

Ok thanks again, so just to clarify ,I knew if there is water in a bunker you can get free relief but must drop in the bunker, what I didn't know is you can under 1 stroke penalty drop just behind the bunker I thought you had to go back and reply the shot from the same position.

What still puzzles me is rule 24-2 Immovable Obsruction.
    What possible Immovable obstruction could be in a bunker?

Money List Winner

w

As Colin highlights, some bunkers are very large and it's entirely possible to have an isolated area of casual water in a bunker from which you may take relief without penalty if there is an alternative area unaffected by the condition, not nearer the hole and still in the bunker.
    What you don't get is (effectively) relief from the hazard (bunker) when you have interference from a condition in the hazard.
    Whilst this is pretty logical, the problems start when there isn't a valid relief option within the bunker and, to a lesser degree, when you have to drop a ball into soft wet sand. The ruling bodies are going to have another go at this next time - we will see.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Money List Winner

Ok thanks again, so just to clarify ,I knew if there is water in a bunker you can get free relief but must drop in the bunker, what I didn't know is you can under 1 stroke penalty drop just behind the bunker I thought you had to go back and reply the shot from the same position.

Steps, and in the US they have a habit of putting carved rocks/boulders in some
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Tour Winner

Or a bit of the bunker lining sticking up.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Steps, and in the US they have a habit of putting carved rocks/boulders in some
    Steps of course forgot about them, thankyou.

Challenge Tour Pro

My 4000 words....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pH6ukMQoA2...nker+steps.jpg

https://thesandtrap.com/uploads/mont...70b8e07056.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/airfieldsystems.co...ub-2.jpg?ssl=1

http://www.golfforher.com/wp-content...1-36-37-am.jpg
    Last edited by atticusfinch; 31-May-2018 at 01:09.