Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The golf ball

Re: The golf ball

Yes, towards the extremes. Ball to ball within the same tier or similar would not make much of an difference.

There are some balls that I wouldn't use because I wouldn't like the feel off a putter face or wedge. However, I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test between many others and for me it's a trade off between a firmer ball (AD333 tour, NXT etc) which I find gives me extra distance (hence use them in the winter and when the course isn't running) and a premium end ball that I can get to stop better and has a softer feel for putting and around the greens when it is dry (and I get roll on drives anyway) and firmer. I'll play with a number of brands. In essence to answer the OP's question, for a mid-handicapper, no, it won't make a discernible difference.

Tour Rookie

When I hit range balls i can feel they are not great

I play a much softer ball and it feels much nicer on the course.

Tour Rookie

I can feel the difference when I putt/chip. There may be a marginal difference with other clubs.

Will it affect my score? Almost certainly not.

The one ball variable which does make a difference is visibility. I reckon I find a yellow golf ball about once a round that I would struggle to see if it was white. That's 2 shots right there. More than most custom fittings deliver...

Strangely, the ball manufacturers don't seem to market the biggest equipment benefit available to a handicap golfer...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    I can feel the difference when I putt/chip. There may be a marginal difference with other clubs.

Will it affect my score? Almost certainly not.

The one ball variable which does make a difference is visibility. I reckon I find a yellow golf ball about once a round that I would struggle to see if it was white. That's 2 shots right there. More than most custom fittings deliver...

Strangely, the ball manufacturers don't seem to market the biggest equipment benefit available to a handicap golfer...
    When chipping and putting you are only feeling the cover of the ball, not it's construction, compression or it's dimple pattern! If your putter has an insert you are even further removed.

As to ball colours...you have never had so many choices from so many manufacturers! They clearly need to up their marketing budgets. From Volvik to Callaway in the extremes through Ping, Bridgestone and Srixon right up to Titleist. Bolder, brighter and on a range of balls.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...