Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The golf ball

Assistant Pro

The golf ball

Hi

Do you think the golf can make an actual difference?

Especially to a mid-handicapper. (I take it that a low handicapper with there skill set may notice something more)

E.g. would one ball out perform another? Or will it be similar results regardless of the ball?

Need to purchase so wondering what to go for

Thanks

Tour Rookie

Re: The golf ball

Yes.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Assistant Pro

not a mid handicap... yet, but would say that yes i noticed a little difference, mostly in the putting. I bought a bag of lake balls to start me off, and once they were done bought the cheapest ball i had enjoyed hitting from the lake balls.

When they run out i'm going to get lake balls again.

Assistant Pro

Difference- absolutely, some can feel like rocks some can compress nicely. Spin/trajectory can be very different.

More useful point - it helps to use the same ball to have a chance to improve consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    Yes.
    Couldn't put it better myself.
    ... The moderator formally known as Gareth

Callaway Fusion 10.5° Driver
    Callaway Alpha 816 15° 3 Wood
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 23° Hybrid
    Cleveland 588CB Forged Irons 5-W
    Cleveland RTX Wedges 52°,56°,60°
    Edel E2 Custom 35"

Current handicap: 11.0>11.1

I don't notice a difference to my game but I certainly feel a difference. Not handicapped by the way. Also first post

Quote Originally Posted by robbeh32 View Post
    I don't notice a difference to my game but I certainly feel a difference. Not handicapped by the way. Also first post
    Welcome aboard pal.
    ... The moderator formally known as Gareth

Callaway Fusion 10.5° Driver
    Callaway Alpha 816 15° 3 Wood
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 23° Hybrid
    Cleveland 588CB Forged Irons 5-W
    Cleveland RTX Wedges 52°,56°,60°
    Edel E2 Custom 35"

Current handicap: 11.0>11.1

Journeyman Pro

A 3 handicapper once told me too many people get a hard on over what ball they play

I know an 8 handicapper who players Dunlop’s and a 9 handicapper who plays pinnicle golds does seem to hold them back considering they could both be even lower if they practiced as well as playing once a week

I think it is pretty similar to what Mark Crossfield found for shafts not so long ago (we had a lengthy discussion about it in case anyone missed it). The objective, measurable difference in performance is not that big between different models. It comes down to feel and how that influences the shot the player plays. So if a robot hit two different balls, how big would the difference in spin and distance actually be? I can't remember ever seeing that done (which is probably because ball manufacturers don't have much interest in doing it because it would show that the differences are minimal, but I could be wrong, of course)

I do find the occasional ball that does feel too hard and that I don't want to play. And recently I had one that, even though it claimed to be a 'lady distance' ball and from the outside was in really pristine condition, just did not go anywhere. Even on my best hits (and I struck it well that day), it fell a good 10 to 20 yards short of what I would have expected. I don't know if that was due to the model or it that specific ball was at fault. It felt very light to me (I did not put it on a scale or anything though). But this is all purely anecdotal. As I said, a robot test would be the way to go.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by robbeh32 View Post

welcome to the forum - enjoy it