Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: Private Schools... is it what it is cracked to be & not just toff?

@sawtooth.
    Private schools and grammar schools only have good results because they are selective (and because their parents are supportive of their education).
    Put any of those kids in any school and they would do just as well.

Private school and university was all paid for by my grandparents.
    My father said it would be my choice as to where I wanted to go.

I chose a council school down the road with the kids I went to nursery with.
    I donít regret it. I donít regret not going to uni either.

I work with a guy who is quite 'anti' private schools, but also highly demanding of the comp school that his 3 daughters have attended. He's in a fairly wealthy area and is actually seriously dedicated to 'pushing' his daughters as hard as he can - and they all agree with/appreciate this!

He's had lots of arguments with the comp school who didn't want to push his kids as hard as he/they desired! He resolved this by using a personal tutor and between them all they achieved pretty much better than their expectations! 1st daughter has just completed a Masters and was disappointed not to be awarded an internship at her targeted org - she subsequently found out that it was because they wanted to offer her an actual job (remuneration £60k!)!

The middle daughter has a choice of several 'premium' red-brick Unis and the youngest is likely to end up in Oxford!

So comprehensive education is not necessarilly a barrier to top Unis! Unfortunately, it's often the 'educators' who are the ones who limit expectations/results! Recognising and encouraging talent/potential should be something that should be encouraged - as opposed to 'living with mediocrity'! And that particularly applies to 'comprehensives'! Private schools tend to be geared to recognise these atributes!

Oh, and FWIW, my background is an NZ education, where my brother was pushed and achieved a 1st Class Honours degree at the same Uni as Rutherford and where, I believe, Prof Ian Kerr (as in Kerr Metric) was encouraged to return to further (unsuccessfully) push him towards analysis of gravitons - study/analysis/definition of which a Nobel Prize has recently been awadd! And (at a lower level) my ex (now deceased) was a teacher at a mediocre comprehensive that, with a dedicated Head, made huge advances up the 'tables'! And there were also some highly successful 'non academic' achievements for those who were determined to achieve non-academic goals as well!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 02-Jun-2018 at 18:45.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    You don't have to justify it, and there isn't a problem; it's your money, you spend it as you see fit.

If others have a problem with it, it's precisely that; THEIR problem.
    +1. Agree

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    @sawtooth.
    Private schools and grammar schools only have good results because they are selective (and because their parents are supportive of their education).
    Put any of those kids in any school and they would do just as well.
    I agree to some extent but I donít think he would have achieved quite the same level at the local comp for various reasons.

Tour Rookie

Private schools hoover up many of the best teachers, many intelligent and motivated children and many engaged and interested parents. I'd say they have an overall negative impact on the state system.

Not true about the best teachers. A lot of the teachers in private schools get positions partly due to their ability to take a rugby or hockey team, not only their prowess as a teacher if a subject.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    I assume you hold the same principles to people using Private Health Care.
    Not 100% sure I get your point. I don't have private health but my wife is lucky enough to have private health through work, she got cancer and was operated on within a week through the private health. She may well have survived anyway through the NHS, but again I am not for a second going to question anyone for having/using private health.

I have made it clear several times that I think the current government needs to do more to fund the public sector. I am in relatively lucky position to be able to afford using the private sector version of education, but things like health and education should not be left just for the private sector to provide. I don't see a problem with a well funded public sector being available alongside the option to get services privately if you want to. As long as one is not causing substantial harm to the other.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    I work with a guy who is quite 'anti' private schools, but also highly demanding of the comp school that his 3 daughters have attended. He's in a fairly wealthy area and is actually seriously dedicated to 'pushing' his daughters as hard as he can - and they all agree with/appreciate this!

He's had lots of arguments with the comp school who didn't want to push his kids as hard as he/they desired! He resolved this by using a personal tutor and between them all they achieved pretty much better than their expectations! 1st daughter has just completed a Masters and was disappointed not to be awarded an internship at her targeted org - she subsequently found out that it was because they wanted to offer her an actual job (remuneration £60k!)!

The middle daughter has a choice of several 'premium' red-brick Unis and the youngest is likely to end up in Oxford!

So comprehensive education is not necessarilly a barrier to top Unis! Unfortunately, it's often the 'educators' who are the ones who limit expectations/results! Recognising and encouraging talent/potential should be something that should be encouraged - as opposed to 'living with mediocrity'! And that particularly applies to 'comprehensives'! Private schools tend to be geared to recognise these atributes!

Oh, and FWIW, my background is an NZ education, where my brother was pushed and achieved a 1st Class Honours degree at the same Uni as Rutherford and where, I believe, Prof Ian Kerr (as in Kerr Metric) was encouraged to return to further (unsuccessfully) push him towards analysis of gravitons - study/analysis/definition of which a Nobel Prize has recently been awadd! And (at a lower level) my ex (now deceased) was a teacher at a mediocre comprehensive that, with a dedicated Head, made huge advances up the 'tables'! And there were also some highly successful 'non academic' achievements for those who were determined to achieve non-academic goals as well!
    Getting! a! headache!! reading! this! with! so! many! exclamation!!!! marks!!...ouch

Quote Originally Posted by the smiling assassin View Post
    Getting! a! headache!! reading! this! with! so! many! exclamation!!!! marks!!...ouch
    Whoopee! It's your problem! Get over it!!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei