Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Is the cost of a ball making you play badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Carpfather1 View Post
    I only use premium balls ,pro v1x being my first choice more of a confidence thing or feel good factor.I buy them in bulk on in pearl condition so they’re as good as new and half the price as soon as you question losing balls you will start losing them because it’s in your head then .I tried cheaper distance rocks they just don’t check the same around the green again confidence in what your using .
    i wish i had that money. from your user name i bet you only use mainline cell too!!! 😀

Tour Rookie

I am going through a rough patch atm reworking my swing.

Been really wild off the tee trying to gain more distance meaning losing several balls a round. Have shelved the tpx5 and chromesofts for when it starts getting better

Sports psychology depends on the personality surely... Faced with water, a new ball introduces a fear, a fear that is diminished/ removed when the new ball is not in the equation. The type ball doesn't change the desired result (good shot, hit green), but the type of ball introduces another unnecessary element (fear). If that's your personality, change the ball, remove the fear / tension and play your shot. If it's not, keep the new expensive ball, prepare to succeed and hit it in the water (or not as the case may be).

Quote Originally Posted by rksquire View Post
    Sports psychology depends on the personality surely... Faced with water, a new ball introduces a fear, a fear that is diminished/ removed when the new ball is not in the equation. The type ball doesn't change the desired result (good shot, hit green), but the type of ball introduces another unnecessary element (fear). If that's your personality, change the ball, remove the fear / tension and play your shot. If it's not, keep the new expensive ball, prepare to succeed and hit it in the water (or not as the case may be).
    Seems more like a confidence thing. Keep using the same ball, you're confident you can clear the water. If you're changing the ball you lack confidence in yourself to make it.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Seems more like a confidence thing. Keep using the same ball, you're confident you can clear the water. If you're changing the ball you lack confidence in yourself to make it.
    I'm the opposite. if i use a crap ball dont care and swing freely.

brand new pro v1 and its "dont hook it into the water, don't hook it into the water, dont hook it into the water"

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    I'm the opposite. if i use a crap ball dont care and swing freely.

brand new pro v1 and its "dont hook it into the water, don't hook it into the water, dont hook it into the water"
    Let me guess, do you hook it into the water?

I love the way the pro's say "ignore the hazard". It's a bloomin big lake, how can I ignore that? Great mental strength if they really can do it.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Let me guess, do you hook it into the water?

I love the way the pro's say "ignore the hazard". It's a bloomin big lake, how can I ignore that? Great mental strength if they really can do it.
    Always great to give your pals a motivational pep talk, on that note. "Whatever you do, don't think about that enormous expanse of water between you and the green. Don't focus on that at all and you'll be fine."
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Journeyman Pro

I only ever play with premium brand relatively high cost balls so the answer to the question has to be no.

Mind you I probably only lose a ball once in every three rounds normally.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Always great to give your pals a motivational pep talk, on that note. "Whatever you do, don't think about that enormous expanse of water between you and the green. Don't focus on that at all and you'll be fine."
    they do exactly that. "what ever you do dont hit it left into the lake will you... oh and i wouldn't shank it oob either,"

i have good friends

I always think I'm looking at the green via a tv screen. You cant see the water or trouble .....mind rests then
    Forever trying.