Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Head Pro

Is the cost of a ball making you play badly?

Personally, I'd say yes, I'm actually in my own head a better player with a used ball over a brand new freshly unwrapped premium ball.

£40 a dozen or £3.33 a ball If there's any trouble I'm in don't hit it there mode, which is 100% holding me back and moving past my current handicap. even with current Nikes at £1.66 I'm struggling with the fear of it going AWOL!!!

anyone else feel in the same boat, nothing makes me more happy than a solid 36 holes with the same ball and plenty of battle scares from over use !!!!

I seem to collect premium golf balls like vintage wine NONONO keep them for a special occasion :-)

Your thoughts?
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.3 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)

Re: Is the cost of a ball making you play badly?

Glyn really beats himself up if he can't get a ball to last 5 or 6 rounds. He actually has separation anxiety when he can't find his Pro V within a few seconds.
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Tour Winner

i still swap out my premium ball for a srixon distance on a few of our par 3's that are surrounded by water.

people ask why and i say "would you go upto that lake and throw £4 in?"

YES 100%!

I hate the thought of losing a ball which cost £2 or more. Thats why I've recently started using the Wilson Staff Optix, £28 for 2 doz, it isn't the end of the world if they go a little AWOL!!
    Last year I used AD333 Tours, as yes I played well, but in April I brought 4 dozen of the buggers, and by September I had a single sleeve left....Somehow I still had a wonderful year and my handicap dropped 13 shots!
    I did play alot during the week too, which also assisted to the huge loss of golf balls. This year I've got 8/10 dozen golf balls which I've brought/been given and until they are all used up I wont be buying anymore !
    Srixon Clubs. Puma Wardrobe. and a Smile on my face!

Ha ha, this is so me. I now have a good selection of top end balls in my bag that I refuse to use in case I lose them . Hitting a 40p Pearl Lake Ball, TM or AD333 this year, is far more relaxing.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

I usually start my comp rounds by taking out a brand new ball (not a premium one, though) on our first tee, hitting two full shots with it and then ceremoniously landing it in the middle of the pond in front of the green on my third shot. Change to an old ball, drop, hit my 5th shot onto the green, two putt for double bogey. That old ball then stays with me for the rest of the round (or at least to our 15th hole, where another pond greedily awaits).

Maybe I should turn that around ... use the old ball to start with and then take the new one for the fifth shot over the water.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Not me. I would never in a million years pay the price that premium balls cost anyway. I've never bought any balls that cost more than £20 for a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Capella
    Maybe I should turn that around ... use the old ball to start with and then take the new one for the fifth shot over the water.

Alternatively, have you considered not hitting either of them in the water?

• TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Not me. I would never in a million years pay the price that premium balls cost anyway. I've never bought any balls that cost more than £20 for a dozen.

Alternatively, have you considered not hitting either of them in the water?
    [/COLOR]
    It is water, it's what it's there for.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    i still swap out my premium ball for a srixon distance on a few of our par 3's that are surrounded by water.
    I do the same thing. I have plenty of worn or found balls in my bag just for these occasions. The odd thing is, I tend not to lose them on that stroke!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Doesn't bother me as I pretty much 100% play with balls I have found, I rarely buy balls and rarely get given them. Losing a ball I have found holds no fears for me
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done