Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Abandoning ball in play

The rules require holing out with the ball you teed of with unless substitution is allowed. No rule permits substitution of a ball that has been un-found for fewer than five minutes. The rules permit abandoning only a provisional ball. See R.27.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    .... No rule permits substitution of a ball that has been un-found for fewer than five minutes. The rules permit abandoning only a provisional ball. See R.27.
    I must be misunderstanding what you mean.

Rule 27-1a permits the substitution of a ball under stroke and distance at any time.

Rule 28 permits the substition of a ball. It does not preclude the unplayable ball being "unfound" although it limits your options to stroke and distance.

Challenge Tour Pro

Yes, my keyboard got ahead of my brain. My bad.

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I would say yes. In the scenario described he is too far from the tee to go back and play a provisional - so any ball he now hits from the tee is the ball in play and the original ball is 'dead' - whether or not it is found within 5mins of it originally being hit.
    I recall they modified the wording of when you can play a provisional ball but effectively you can't leave the teeing ground (other than to get another ball or change club) if you want to play a provisional ball. Thus you can't return to the tee to play a provisional in the senario suggested - as stated above.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    I recall they modified the wording of when you can play a provisional ball but effectively you can't leave the teeing ground (other than to get another ball or change club) if you want to play a provisional ball. Thus you can't return to the tee to play a provisional in the senario suggested - as stated above.
    There was no change to the rule but a decision clarifying it was introduced.

The decision;

Under Rule 27-2a, when is a player considered to have gone forward to search for the original ball such that a provisional ball cannot be played?

A.

A player will be considered to have gone forward to search when he has proceeded more than a short distance towards the place where his original ball is likely to be. As the purpose of Rule 27-2a is to save time, the player is*permitted* to go forward a short distance before determining that it would save time to return promptly to play a provisional ball. As a guideline, a player should be considered to have proceeded more than a short distance, and therefore to have gone forward to search, if he has proceeded more than approximately 50 yards. However, this guideline does not preclude a player from playing a provisional ball when he has proceeded more than a short distance for another specific purpose, such as to retrieve a ball or a different club to play a provisional ball, or to confer with a referee.

The nature of the hole, and original tee shot, will dictate when a player is provided with additional information that strongly suggests that it would save time if he played a provisional ball. For most situations it is contemplated (by the rule makers) that once you have gone 50 yds you will be able to see any new information and that a return trip of 100yds may well still be time saving.
    If you hit it 300yds, are playing a course for the first time and have travelled 80 yds to the crest of a blind hole only to see that where you thought was fairway is actually rough the reference to 50yds in the decision wouldn't preclude you returning to the tee at that point to play a provisional.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Tour Winner

Note:
    On the teeing ground, a substituted ball becomes the ball in play when a stroke is made at it.
    Elsewhere, it becomes the ball in play when it it is dropped.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Note:
    On the teeing ground, a substituted ball becomes the ball in play when a stroke is made at it.
    Elsewhere, it becomes the ball in play when it it is dropped.
    See #8
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (29 May)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    See #8
    Oops. Just got back from holiday @4.00am and missed it by just skimming thru the posts.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Oops. Just got back from holiday @4.00am and missed it by just skimming thru the posts.
    In which case, you are excused ...
    Handicap Challenge - 19.3 (29 May)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...