Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: FOBT's in Betting shops

You could lose lots of money really quickly. Reducing seems sensible, although they went for the big bang on this. Hard to judge overall as one who has never used on of these machines, but gambling addiction is bad news. (maybe this just moves the issue elsewhere)
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    SiLH - should we restrict those on low incomes from drinking and smoking? Both can be addictions, much like gambling can be, and money that can be required to live on can be being spent on fags and booze.

I agree with the reduction in maximum stake but think they could maybe have left it a bit higher than £2. What is the jackpot on these types of machines at the minute and does anyone know if the maximum payouts are going to be reduced to reflect the lower stake? I'm not sure if this will reduce problem gambling or will simply mean that it takes longer for people to lose their money with a lower stake. I also wonder how many people are playing on these terminals and staking the maximum £100 each go compared to those playing with a lower stake of say £1 or £2 a go who aren't going to be affected by this change.
    No.

But there are restrictions in place around where and when and the cost is largely government controlled
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

I work in a club where there are ordinary gambling machines it seems that it's the same players mostly on them and when they win they put it all back chasing another win.

I'm sure that the reduction in the stake allowed is spot on the right thing to do.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

A few years ago one of the bookies in centre of town moved premises about 100yds.

Why go to all the hassle?

You might not be surprised to learn that the unit that became available and into which they moved was slap bang between the main pub in town and the banks (and cash machines). So any punter in the pub needing a bit of cash would go to the cash machine and on the way back have to pass the bookies - when previously he wouldn't have done so. I wonder why...well I don't - I know - because someone who worked in the bookies told me.

Predatory businesses masquerading as places of enjoyment.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Gotta love when people comment on stuff they have almost no idea of
    Almost as funny as the betting guru’s that give it the big en AFTER they’ve finally had a win & then start giving everybody tips.
    😖

Never understood why someone would feed loads of money into a 'bandit' when they are set up to always make a profit.

As for the change in the in the max stake allowed... nanny state. If someone's in the betting shop they'll just have more bets on the horses/dogs/football.

Next thing you'll see is a minimum price per unit of alcohol.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Never understood why someone would feed loads of money into a 'bandit' when they are set up to always make a profit.

As for the change in the in the max stake allowed... nanny state. If someone's in the betting shop they'll just have more bets on the horses/dogs/football.

Next thing you'll see is a minimum price per unit of alcohol.
    Not necessarily.

I've seen it with my own eyes, In my local bookies there's lots of people who play those machines on a regular basis who have no intrest in having a bet, they only go in there to play those roulette games etc.

I've seen people slamming stools, banging screens , throwing cans,abusing staff when they dont win, staff do not deserve that.

Those machines should not be on the high street. On christmas day last 2 years a betfred near ours was open just for those machines.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Not necessarily.

I've seen it with my own eyes, In my local bookies there's lots of people who play those machines on a regular basis who have no intrest in having a bet, they only go in there to play those roulette games etc.

I've seen people slamming stools, banging screens , throwing cans,abusing staff when they dont win, staff do not deserve that.

Those machines should not be on the high street. On christmas day last 2 years a betfred near ours was open just for those machines.
    Are you sure it was Xmas day? They'd be in breach of their licence if they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Not necessarily.

And I've seen a guy playing the machine, and having a p!ss at the same time rather than relinquish his place at the machine. Staff don't deserve having to mop the floor....

But is that really the machine's fault? If we're looking to ban, or severely limit, these sorts of behaviours lets give everyone a ration card for when they go to the pub. "Sorry sir, you've had your 2 pints. Off home you go."

Why ban them from the High Street? Surely someone playing them in a bookies is at least 18 years old? Its interference by the nanny state.... lets cut sugar.... lets ban fizzy drinks..... lets reduce the size of a Mars bar..... lets put a minimum price per unit on alcohol....

How about lets spend a fortune on education, and let people make their own choices. Those that want the Darwin Award can continue being idiots.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post

What is the jackpot on these types of machines at the minute and does anyone know if the maximum payouts are going to be reduced to reflect the lower stake? .
    As far as the roulette game The maximum payout is restricted by the the max stake. At £2 the max you can win is by putting it all on a single number. If you did win by hitting that number your return would be £72. As far as he other games I’ve no idea but I would think it would again be similar as it is a FIXED ODDS machine.