Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FOBT's in Betting shops

Great news this morning that maximum stakes have been reduced from £100 per spin to £2 per spin.

These machines play a massive part in money laundering and anti social behaviour and attract weak minded people who are easily addicted.

I'm very surprised this decision has been made though.

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Re: FOBT's in Betting shops

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Great news this morning that maximum stakes have been reduced from £100 per spin to £2 per spin.

These machines play a massive part in money laundering and anti social behaviour and attract weak minded people who are easily addicted.

I'm very surprised this decision has been made though.
    Itís good news for a lot of people but bad news for bookies with a good number of high street ones relying on them to get themselves in business - wonder what the next thing will be to try and fleece people.

This is a similar one to banning smoking in pubs. It will cost jobs but frankly it is long overdue and is for the greater good. Awful, destructive machines.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    This is a similar one to banning smoking in pubs. It will cost jobs but frankly it is long overdue and is for the greater good. Awful, destructive machines.
    Totally agree. The amount of money they take is obscene.

I used to love the bookies when I was in my 20s, was always a good atmosphere. Now on the very rare occasions I go in one, it is totally depressing, hardly anyone watching the racing, they are all shovelling money in the bandit.

Ryder Cup Winner

It's a good move but I think down to £2 is maybe too far IMO and a move to £10 or £20 may have been a better initial move.

If the money is their own, who is to say how they wish to spend it.
    However betting is a mugs game in my opinion, and do not understand why anyone would waste money like that.
    Forever trying.

I am all in favour of this reduction - it is a mug's game and it is an addiction. And the number of betting companies out there shows how much they can make from it. 90% of the adverts on Sky Sports and half the Premier League shirt sponsors are betting companies.

Sports gambling has just been legalised in America and it will be down to individual states to decide on it instead of dodgy bookies and going to Nevada. All the bookmakers who will lose out on idiots pumping £100 a time into these machines will turn their attention across the Atlantic to make their profits.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    However betting is a mugs game in my opinion, and do not understand why anyone would waste money like that.
    which is all very well until the money is that which is required to live on - especially when a family is involved - or when lack of money leads to massive crippling debt, crime or to going to pay-day (high interest) lenders.

Take a loaded gun from a depressive and he can still kill himself easy enough if he wants - but he is less likely to do so on a whim and so more likely to change his mind or be talked out of it.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    putting money in a fruit machine is a mugs game as it is statistically impossible to win if you do it on a regular basis as the machines are programmed to only pay out a certain percentage of their takings.

sports betting is not a mugs game if you bet carefully and look for value. I have on average 2 or 3 bets a month and generally make a profit year on year. I never bet on horse racing apart from a couple of quid on the Grand National for a bit of an interest. I focus on football, rugby league, snooker and darts.

Kilmarnock have won me a lot of money, backed them at 9/2 just after Xmas to finish top 6, also backed them at 7/1 to win at Ibrox and also in other individual games when they were on a roll. Also backed Rob Cross at 16/1 for the PDC as thought he was well overpriced.

Only current open bet is Hunslet Club Parkside to win the National Conf Prem at 4/1. Watched them a few times last year and they are a team on the up, currently won 9 from 9 and well clear, now 1/9 with the bookies.

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    putting money in a fruit machine is a mugs game as it is statistically impossible to win if you do it on a regular basis as the machines are programmed to only pay out a certain percentage of their takings.

sports betting is not a mugs game if you bet carefully and look for value. I have on average 2 or 3 bets a month and generally make a profit year on year. I never bet on horse racing apart from a couple of quid on the Grand National for a bit of an interest. I focus on football, rugby league, snooker and darts.

Kilmarnock have won me a lot of money, backed them at 9/2 just after Xmas to finish top 6, also backed them at 7/1 to win at Ibrox and also in other individual games when they were on a roll. Also backed Rob Cross at 16/1 for the PDC as thought he was well overpriced.

Only current open bet is Hunslet Club Parkside to win the National Conf Prem at 4/1. Watched them a few times last year and they are a team on the up, currently won 9 from 9 and well clear, now 1/9 with the bookies.
    Which ever way you look at it, both sports betting and fruit machines are bets on chance, and if they arenít then itís fixed.
    Forever trying.