Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Club distances

Money List Winner

Re: Club distances

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and
    when the ground is frozen solid isnt the average.

Attachment 24949

many don't hit the ball anything as far as they think they do
    have a look at this swing speed calc
    There you go again, bringing facts into forum discussions!

A good chart (obviously) and for many it's a useful chart to see whether they are struggling to retain a constant rhythm through the bag - let alone hitting the middle of the club face!

I'm pretty much bang on the 100 column when I'm swinging well - and should probably be wearing a skirt when I'm a little off on the timing 🤔
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Distinctly short. Won't bore you with the full distances but my take is very simple. Hit it with whatever club you think will get there. I tend to plan for the centre of the green as trouble is usually short. Hit the centre on most courses and you'll never be too far from the pin

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    ...trouble is usually short...
    Interesting, I often find that being short isnít a bad thing. In fact i recall at Beau Desert I asked the pro for any tips, and his reply was not to go long, short is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Interesting, I often find that being short isnít a bad thing. In fact i recall at Beau Desert I asked the pro for any tips, and his reply was not to go long, short is safe.
    I have found that most clubs have bunkers short and so it only takes a ball to be a few yards offline to find one. Similar with ponds. They are usually short or not far off. By going longer, in theory it should take the hazards out of play. There is a couple of holes at my place where long is dead but in principle it's something I stick to

I have found that most clubs have bunkers short and so it only takes a ball to be a few yards offline to find one. Similar with ponds. They are usually short or not far off. By going longer, in theory it should take the hazards out of play. There is a couple of holes at my place where long is dead but in principle it's something I stick to
    Itís about learning, hole to hole, where to miss.

Couldn't agree more

Major Champion

When you play Blackmoor, short is fine, long is dead. Even if you have a shot long you will be chipping back down the green, and unlikely to be able to stop the ball. Short straight and you can putt up. Fairways usually run at about nine on the stimp.

Not played many links or heathland courses where trouble is short. They generally play fast so allow you to run shots into the greens.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.6

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2018

Blackballed

...and how many handicap players are good enough to know where to miss do you think ??

There are a few holes on my track you don't want to be above the hole but when you're coming in with a 3/4/5 iron or hybrid, I'd guess most of them are quite happy to be in and around.

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    When you play Blackmoor, short is fine, long is dead. Even if you have a shot long you will be chipping back down the green, and unlikely to be able to stop the ball. Short straight and you can putt up. Fairways usually run at about nine on the stimp.

Not played many links or heathland courses where trouble is short. They generally play fast so allow you to run shots into the greens.
    I get that but I play mostly on parkland courses where the trouble is distinctly short.

Major Champion

I get that but I play mostly on parkland courses where the trouble is distinctly short.
    I was agreeing with James, not disagreeing with you.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.6

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2018