Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Club distances

Re: Club distances

Fairways are soooo overrated though Phil!

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Do you carry a good number of wedges or have to hit a lot of half, 3/4 shots with a PW? 130yds for a pw is a big old whack but leaves a lot of distance inbetween before you reach the pin.
    (same question for all big hitters)
    I have just got Callaway Epic irons and the pw hits it 130yds.
    The lofts are strong .
    so have added a 48* wedge
    pw =130 yds.
    48 =120
    52 =110
    56 =100
    60=85

Left my 3 wood out to carry wedges.
    Not a really big hitter but am long enough!

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and
    when the ground is frozen solid isnt the average.

Attachment 24949

many don't hit the ball anything as far as they think they do
    have a look at this swing speed calc
    The 90 column on the chart is pretty much bang on my distances and i'm only 61, those sure are powerful 90 year olds
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    i don't doubt some people can hit the ball a long way, but many don't and some off the averages are, From my experience, far from it. hiting a 3 wood 240 yards once isn't the average, the same as hitting the driver 300 yards, down wind, down hill and
    when the ground is frozen solid isnt the average.

Attachment 24949

many don't hit the ball anything as far as they think they do
    have a look at this swing speed calc
    I would say that chart is pretty much spot on. The 2 times I have gone for a a Mizuno DNA fitting both times it says I have a similar swing speed to a lower end tour player. So the distances I claimed compared to the chart you put up are pretty much the same as the DNA showed I hit my 6i the same distances as Luke Donald.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Journeyman Pro

40 yards on each iron less than I hit at my best.
    As a guide to at my best
    7 iron 180
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Fairways are soooo overrated though Phil!
    I like to feel I'm doing my bit to preserve the fairways and keep them looking good by driving into the rough too. Nice to know someone else has the same concern for looking after their course too.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    I would say that chart is pretty much spot on. The 2 times I have gone for a a Mizuno DNA fitting both times it says I have a similar swing speed to a lower end tour player. So the distances I claimed compared to the chart you put up are pretty much the same as the DNA showed I hit my 6i the same distances as Luke Donald.
    Agreed, my Titleist fitting last Spring had my swing speed at 107 iirc. So the distances Ive stated are similar to those on the chart.
    Apparently I was 3-4 mph too slow for x stiff shafts.

Challenge Tour Pro

I hit mine far far far far away ....from where I'm aiming

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Agreed, my Titleist fitting last Spring had my swing speed at 107 iirc. So the distances Ive stated are similar to those on the chart.
    Apparently I was 3-4 mph too slow for x stiff shafts.
    Just looked back at where you posted your distances. Funny how we've both quoted exactly the same iron distances and I was the same when I got my driver. I was towards the top end of the stiff swing speed but not quick enough to hit an X-stiff consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Just looked back at where you posted your distances. Funny how we've both quoted exactly the same iron distances and I was the same when I got my driver. I was towards the top end of the stiff swing speed but not quick enough to hit an X-stiff consistently.
    I reckon we are standard for decent players, getting a little older, but not one of the young starlets who hit it a mile.