Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 wood distance

Re: 3 wood distance

I'm the same.

I'm really confident with my 3w, Hit it long and straight.

I'm an absolute liability with my driver in hand. I honestly have no idea where it will go. My swing feels completely different.

Distance wise when I do hit one straight with the driver it will go 20-30 yards further than the 3w, but the 3w goes plenty far enough for it to be usable. So I should really drop the driver from the bag but I keep using it in the hope I'll eventually sus it out.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

Assistant Pro

That's what I done today was going to use just my 3 wood then on the tee box open fairway I thought I'm going for this and messed it up I played terrible today even my 3 wood
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7

My 3 wood is sitting in the boot, contemplating it's recent behaviour! When it's been there long enough it can come out to play again. It'll learn!!! 😁
    Hcap stuck at 10/11.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

I played with a 3w for many years and it got me down to 6. I gave up on it when playing with a young lad who was booming it 50yds past me. At that point I realised that I might as well embrace metal technology and that my persimmon 3w was not helping me that much. Been playing a metal thing for about 10yrs now...a lovely G10 driver and I don't bother with a 3w/m.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by casuk View Post
    I have been noticing that I hit my 3 wood further and straighter than my driver, I average 220 of the deck the the 3 and average about the same on my driver off the tee, I can get 240 with the 3 wood off the tee and max out around 242 with driver I'm just wondering why that is my 3 is 14.5° and driver is 9.0°
    Have you been on a launch monitor to check on attack angle etc with driver?
    In the bag:
    Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 716 TMB 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S

http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Moquillo19 View Post
    My 3 wood is sitting in the boot, contemplating it's recent behaviour! When it's been there long enough it can come out to play again. It'll learn!!! 😁
    I feel your pain. I've left mine in the bag to suffer in front of it's mates by not being used, it'll sit in the naughty corner until it decides it wishes to play ball again, until then it can just sit and watch.

Assistant Pro

Yes I hit down on the ball and get massive spin, my instructor was changing my stance, drop my right shoulder slightly and kink my right knee a little and I was getting less spin and good distance but I just couldnt get use to it plus as I was still getting a lot of slices I have reverted back to my old ways
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7

The driver with it's longer shaft and lower loft takes better timing than a 3w. Whenever I have taped the head up on my driver I find my strike area is a lot larger than with my 3w. Some days when my timing is off a little I find I can hit my 3w as far and straighter than my driver so just use that for the rest of the round.

On a normal day I will hit my driver 20 - 30 yards further than my 3w and that is why it is in the bag. But hey I'm not a tour pro and can't spend too much time practicing, so there will be days when the timing is off and the 3w is the club to go to.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Journeyman Pro

It is probably the 9.0 degree loft which is causing the loss of distance. Less loft does not necessarily mean greater distance.

200- 220 3 wood for me and around 250 average with a 10.5 degree driver (depending on the time of the year)
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Journeyman Pro

I am pretty good with driver but hopeless with 3 wood .
    I can’t explain why both Epics with same shaft.
    but can hit my ping G 5 wood all day.